1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL6 + VF4 or EM5?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Dayam, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    Hi Guys,

Just want to get some of your personal inputs regarding my situation.

I currently own an E-PL6 and is very happy with it. No complaints at all! Now, I'm wanting to have an EVF because after trying out some cameras with EVF, it feels to me that it will let me compose a lot better than using the LCD.

Should I go for the VF4 route? Or should I sell my E-PL6 and get myself a used EM5? I've heard a lot about the VF4 being excellent, is the EVF on the EM5 comparable to the VF4?

Thanks!

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had an E-P5 but found that I nearly always used the VF-4 attached. Mounting and unmounting became a pain and if I left it on, it was bigger than the E-M5 and a lot less robust. For me, it was a no brainer to go for a body with an integrated EVF.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

E-M5 and E-M10 EVF are closer to the VF-2 spec. The E-M1 is the only one that's close to VF-4 spec.

4. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    The VF-4 is significantly better. I actually put a VF-4 on my E-M5 when I had it because the difference was so big. Not to say that the E-M5 VF is bad...I'd say E-M5 is slightly bigger than an APS-C OVF, and VF-4 is bigger than any FF OVF except for the 1DX.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Difficult decision.
    Can you get a cheap used VF-2? I'd try that first.
    Do you want weatherproofing? Get your E-M5
    Do you want the best EVF for manual focus? Buy VF-4, no question.

What do you really really want?

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    EM5 is a great camera and I find an EVF a must. I had considered an EP5 for a while, but the EM5 edged it out because of the integrated finder.

7. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    Thanks for your inputs, I really considered them in making my decision. But at the end of the day, it wasn't me but my wife who had to make the decision. LOL!

I was already planning to sell my E-PL6 to get a used EM5 but my wife didn't allow me to sell it as it's my first camera. LOL!

So I ended up going to the VF-4 route. While thinking about it, with this type of setup I still have the option to make my kit quite compact. I'll just remove the VF-4 and slap my P14 and I have a farely compact camera. Or am I just making myself feel better? :)

Anyways, I got a used VF-4 for about $150 if I convert it.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I think that's a good decision and a very nice price.