EPL6 - advantages of Panasonic 45-150 45-150MM, F4.0-5.6 vs Olympus 40-150R

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by vonflex, Jun 6, 2018.

1. vonflex

vonflex New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2018
    I've had my EPL6 for a few years now and I have been using the only 2 lenses I've had all this time which are the kit lens 14-42 and my Panasonic 20mm 1.7 ( I LOVE this lens btw). Recently I picked up a new Olympus 40-150R lens so I could have some more reach at my kids' events at school and sports. I used the 40-150 the other day for the first time but I had some issues. Almost all the photos I took when at 150 are a bit blurry. (I pretty much always hold the camera in my hands, no tripod.) The wider shots turned out great but for that I could just use the 14-42. I'm wondering if I switch to the Panasonic 45-150 if it would help reduce blurred shots when I'm zoomed in because of the in lens stabilization?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    What lighting condition?
    What ISO and shutter speed were you using?

Camera or lens stabilization will compensate only for YOUR motion, not subject motion.
    Stabilization will compensate on so much, you also have to do your part in supporting the camera steady.

The higher magnification will highlight any focusing errors.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    As an e-pl6 owner, and a pretty experienced camera user, I don't think I would ever consider using such a long lens on such a small body.

The IS (Image Stabilsation) in the EPL6 is not advanced as that on more modern models, and like all IS systems doesn't help with a moving subjects.

Unless you have the optional EVF... then holding the camera at arms length to see the rear LCD is not the optimal way to hold such a long lens.

If you are shooting at less than 1/250 shutter speed you will be in trouble with shake, even with IS, and assuming a very stable grip on the camera/lens combo.

I love my e-pl6 , but it lives with a 17 or 14 on it. For the longer stuff you need a viewfinder and the camera closer to your body for stability

None of that guarantees non blurry pics...they are part of life... but it does help
    cheers

K

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Good advice from Kevin there.
    I use the Olympus 40-150 on small Olympus bodies quite often but I almost always use the viewfinder.
    There's an anti-shake/shock (I think it's called that) option in the menu, maybe in the self-timer submenu which I always have on.
    I would also try holding the camera and lens more "loosely" as, depending on the user, that can counterinituitively help the camera's stabilisation to do it's job, instead of fighting it. Just saying.

5. slmoore

slmoore Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I used that lens on a E-PM2 - a small camera w/o a viewfinder. It worked great outdoors, but inside, the shutter speed wasn't fast enough and I was disappointed with most shots. Of course, most of what I wanted to photograph indoors at that focal length were school events. And in those circumstances it usually wasn't too hard to use a tripod, which helped. If you are trying to shoot indoor sports with it, I think it is probably the wrong lens. You'll want either a prime (maybe 45 1.8 or the sigma 60 2.8) or a pro zoom.

6. vonflex

vonflex New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2018
    Thank you all for the replies. The photos I took were still, the kids were posing for photos on stage so the blurry-ness was my fault. Would having the in lens stability of the Panasonic help with me not having the most steady hand or will I have the same results with the Panasonic 45-150 vs the Oly 40-150 on the epl6? All else being equal.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Does the E-PL6 have the lens priority IS option? If it does than yes the Panasonic IS would help over the E-PL6 in body. If not there might be a conflict, but I can't remember which would be the primary without the menu option.

8. vonflex

vonflex New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2018
    There is a menu item that says s-is 1 2 or 3 and also off. Would that be it?

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Post a picture showing the problem and the parameters you shot with.

its impossible to solve a problem without evidence . though on the internet there are too many people who can't analyse a problem from their own experience and resort to quoting other dubious internet sources
    K

• Like Like x 1
  10. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    No, that's for auto / vertical / horizontal.

There's a setting something about: "Lens I. S. Priority"

• Like Like x 1
  11. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    Lens IS takes priority over IBIS.
    Or turn lens IS off and just use IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  12. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Haven't had a body that didn't have the specific setting in a while so I can't remember.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    On stage, so indoors and low light.
    Both lenses are NOT low light/indoor lenses.

Again, what was the ISO and shutter speed settings?
    I suspect the shutter speed was rather slow.

Panasonic or Olympus lens, same problem.
    However, IF you use the Panasonic's lens IS, that may work a bit better.
    But you are still fighting the basic problem of a slow lens.

As Kevin said, the problem likely is, holding your arms out from your body, so that you can see the rear screen. That is inherently an unstable position, especially in the vertical axis. And it is made even worse by the use of a long focal length lens. It is difficult enough to shoot a long lens with an eye level view finder. I suspect that is the source of camera movement that is exceeding the ability of the IBIS to counter. And I suspect that will be more movement than the in lens IS of the Panasonic can counter also.

As I see it, your options for shooting with a long lens are
    • Buy the add on electronic view finder for your camera.
    • Get a camera with an electronic view finder.
    • Shoot on a tripod, or other stable support, to minimize camera movement.
    As the focal length of the lens increases, the need for good shutter finger technique increases as well.
    If you shove the shutter button down, as I've seen some people do, the camera will move, and blur the shot.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    On my E-M1-mk1
    • Custom menu
    • C - Release
    • Image Stabilization > set to ON
    • Lens IS Priority > set to ON to use the lens IS, or OFF to use IBIS.
    The Olympus cannot do sync/dual IS with Panasonic lenses, it is either IBIS or lens IS, not both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. vonflex

vonflex New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2018
    Thanks again everyone for the replies. Lots of info that I need to digest. Ac12, thanks for the explanation and suggestions. I will have a look at my menu to see how to switch off the ibis and switch to lens.

Basically my issue is that there is only a $50 difference between the oly and the pana. If it helps even just a bit I'd be willing to make the upgrade.

I guess what I'm asking is the stabilization in the epl6 better or worse than the one in the panasonic lens? Sounds like pana lens stabilization might be better of the two? If so, is there any way to quantify it say in percent?

Thanks again all...very much appreciated

16. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    Von, If your camera is like mine.
    1. You turn IS ON
    2. Then you select Lens IS priority; ON to use lens IS, OFF to use IBIS.
    It is a 2 step process.

IMHO, you need to work on finding a way to hold the camera steady.
    If you are shaking/moving more than the Panasonic lens IS can compensate for, you will still have a blurry picture. IOW, no practical difference.

Again, what was your ISO level and shutter speed?
    IS will compensate for only so much movement/shake.
    You CANNOT shoot with the lens at 150mm and shutter speed down at 1/4 sec.

IS only compensates for YOUR movement, not the subjects movement.
    At a low shutter speed, any slight movement of the subject will result in a blurred image.
    You have to shoot at a shutter speed that will freeze the subjects movement.
    Kids never stand STILL, there is always some movement.

17. vonflex

vonflex New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2018
    Tomorrow I will post up a couple of the pics and the specs shot at.

Still haven't been able to figure out where in the menu to switch to lens stabilization .

18. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    It may be different on your camera than the E-M1-mk1.
    I guess it depends who programmed the menus.

19. vonflex

vonflex New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2018
    Ok, I busted out with the owners manual. To get to Lens IS Priority on Epl6 you hit menu, the 2 little gears, then "C" ...there you can turn Lens IS Priority to on or off.

So it is possible to do on Epl6. So the OIS on the Panasonic lens is only marginally better than the epl6 built in IS?

20. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Notably better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.