EPL5 vs OMD low light indoor performance

broncophil

Mu-43 Veteran
Should the EPL5 theoretically have the same indoor lowlight performance as the OMD cause of the same sensor??

or will the 5 axis still help out. Keep in mind I dont imagine I would be using anything longer than the 45 1.8 indoors.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Depends on what you include in "performance"? On a tripod in low light at the identical settings the images should be the same, (if the EPL5 also uses the same software/firmware).

The OM-D IBIS should deliver a crisper image at lower handheld shutter speeds. Guessing maybe a stop, I haven't seen any comparison data/tests for this.

Gary

RnR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hasse
In the case of shooting people in low light, IS is not so useful as you are now trying to keep the shutter speed high enough to freeze people's movements.

nickthetasmaniac

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sensor should be the same, and unless you're incredibly observant, I doubt you'd pick the difference between the stabilisation.

What I think will make a difference though is the body form. You hold an OMD up to your eye and brace it against your body, while an EPL5 is held at arms length. In my experience this makes a huge difference when using slower shutter speeds (of course, if you have an EVF mounted to the EPL5 then it's all the same...)

broncophil

Mu-43 Veteran
ok thanks guys, might as well close this thread... just picked up a EPL5 / 14-42 / 40-150 / PL 25 1.4 - FROM BH PHOTO

Latest threads

Top Bottom