EPL5 - my first impressions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Spuff, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Somebody may have read my Amazon experience.
    Well, I took a plunge (the only risk really was a hijacked account - he has 31,133 100% feedback) and bought an EPL5 from a Hong Kong based Ebay seller.
    He sent it on the next working day which was Monday (from Hong Kong), it arrived 40 minutes ago today on Wednesday. Which is rather splendid. Free delivery as well.

I'm still charging up the battery (gladly UK plug supplied) so have not turned the camera on yet.
    My impressions:
    * All metal body which is nice. Frankly I'd rather have a good plastic body if it was lighter, but I know that's not the popular thing
    * Heavier than my EPL1
    * Tiny buttons, really weeny - but in use I don't think this will be an issue, I find the four way circular switch easily pressable, the rotation ring has a very good travel and will not easily be moved accidentally. If you have klutz fingers the button size could be a real issue.
    * Robin Wong complained of the shutter button action - this may have been altered in the production model because I find the button perfect - there is no
    movement exerted on the camera when the button is fully pressed. Certainly a better action than my EPL1.
    * it seems, that with the kit lens, I can keep the camera very steady when taking a shot, for some reason steadier than the EPL1
    * solid connector flap - better than the floppy EPL1 one
    * the black is really black
    * as someone mentioned somewhere the strap eyelets are annoying if you are not using a strap (as I never do). I would in fact try to remove them if it were not for thinking of a future where I might sell it after a couple of years for the next leap forward
    * this is my first experience of a flip screen - groovy. No more belly on the grass.

You get a nice soft bag for the detachable flash.

The niggles are minor.
    I am naturally champing at the bit to turn it on and use it.

Note on the sale of my (great condition with box) EPL1 on Ebay. I had 216 looks and 20 watchers - and there was only one bidder. It went for my starting price of £120.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    I look forward to hearing more as you get a chance to play with it.

I do a lot of timelapse, I am selling off my nikion gear to fund 43's. I plan to pick up a second camera, I am not sure if i want to go with another OMD or the E-PL5.

How do the controls feel? i have not used any of the E-PL's, are they easy to make manual changes on the fly? or are they more automated like the Nikon 1 system? I like having control. :)

3. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    That was fast. Had a quick look on ebay and prices are quite a good saving vs the UK rrp (£110 to £150 less). But did you have any customs or vat to pay?

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Excellent! Especially pleased about the metal body - somebody had claimed it was plastic early on - happy to hear that's not true. Regarding the buttons, I think Olympus designed them with keebler elves in mind. My E-M5 has the same problem... Thanks for sharing.

5. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The top panel with the buttons on it is plastic (rather lovely plastic), so not quite all the body in fact.
    Maybe it is all some kind of special plastic, but I don't think there is a plastic that is cold to the touch in the way that it is.

It was delivered by FedEx ('priority pak' - it was interesting to follow it's progress across the world with the tracking), I hear they send the charges after they have delivered. I haven't been charged yet.
    By my calculations if I get charged VAT and import duty I will have saved about £30 on the UK price.

I couldn't do any good comparison (compared to EPL1) tests today because it was misty. Here's one shot using continuous focus (boat going about twice good walking pace). 100mm on 100-300.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/safetytrousers/8119665624/" title="caf test by Safetytrousers, on Flickr"> 8119665624_75de17317c_z. "640" height="408" alt="caf test"></a>

Cropped from:
    [​IMG]

I'll say everything in one go after I've had few days with it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I see it is smaller than the EPL-1,is that a problem for you?
    I am really thinking about buying one but I don't find the EPL-1 to be too big at all and I want to handle one before I commit to buying it.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    How do we go about finding the supplier on the Amazon co uk site?

Thanks for the mini review anyway, post a photo of your camera too if you can.

8. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Amazon were listing the EPL5 to be sold directly by Amazon. They removed the listing last week. It is not on Amazon at the moment. I got the camera from a seller on Ebay.
    I'll do a few snaps of it in hand for you when there's daylight again.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Ah, your first paragraph made me get the wrong end of the stick.
    Thanks Spuff.

10. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I was going to do everything in one go, but I couldn't resist this.
    Both photos were taken from same position hand held at 300mm (on Panasonic 100-300).
    The EPL1 had the advantage of being at ISO 200. The EPL5 was at ISO 2500.
    Significant crop.

EPL1:
    [​IMG]

EPL5:
    [​IMG]"Image Hosted by ImageShack.us"/><br/>

Wowza.

• Like Like x 2
  11. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I am new to this site and have an E-PL1 with my E-PL5 on pre-order. This difference in the two pictures is pretty amazing. Is there any reason you did not shoot the E-PL5 in RAW? Also, did you set the ISO to 2500 or was that automatically set by the camera?

12. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Lightroom can't import EPL5 Raws yet and I don't like the Olympus editor much.
    I did the first as a RAW because that was my habit with the EPL1. This is possibly a skew in the test (I'd certainly feel a dolt (this could be the case!) if all those EPL1 photos I did could have been much better just using Jpegs). The results above echo another comparison I was able to do (using ideal on a tripod settings for both photos) - but I haven't shown that for privacy considerations.
    I've set the upper limit on the EPL5 to 3200 and it was set to auto ISO, so yes it did choose 2500 itself. I've been very impressed with ISO 3200 in my flat.

Edit - sorry, I first showed a data reduced example of the EPL1 shot - it is now the full thing.

13. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Have you tried seeing if there is an update to Lightroom? I had a trial of Lightroom 4 and it did open the files.

There is also a RAW to DNG converter from adobe that is free. it will go in and convert the new raw formats to DNG so older versions can work with them. It takes a while for it to run though a thousand images which sucks, but then you should be able to use your favorite raw editor.

14. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    My Lightroom 4.2 won't import EPL5 Raws and it says there are no updates available.
    Could you be mixing the EPL5 and EM5 up?

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    From your house photos I'd say the IBIS works splendidly on your long zoom lens!

Although using an e-pL1 I'm sure ;
    Regardless of RAW or Jpeg your e-pL1 example is truly awful.

I recently took side-by-side photos with the same 17mm lens on my e-P1 & an e-pM5 and the detail differences were subtle, mostly sharpness and detail : the e-P1 is at the lowest end of Olympus' sharpness scale anyway.

16. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I may not have been trying as hard to be steady as normal on it. I took the shot for someone to compare focal lengths. It may indeed be substandard and this one swallow may not make a Spring.
    The images are significantly cropped. The building is about 270 metres away. You can least judge the EPL5 one on its own terms - for something 270 metres away at ISO 2500 it think it is doing quite well.
    This is the photo view I took the crops from (this is data reduced from the EPL1):
    [​IMG]

17. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I think the IQ results of the EPL5 must be almost the same if not identical to the EM5. However - it is making a presumption to think it will be identical.

18. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Have you gotten around to testing the video yet? One major thing that kept me from keeping the older Pen cameras was the serious image wobbling that occurred with the camera's digital stabilizer. The video was essentially useless unless if IBIS was turned off. If the E-PL5 actually uses the sensor to stabilize video like the E-M5, then I may give this camera a serious look for the lower form-factor.

19. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The weather on Saturday is predicted to be sunny. I'll do a good bout of shooting then. I'll add video the the itinerary (I haven't actually tried it yet!).

• Like Like x 1
  20. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I'd like to see jpeg photos taken with each camera on a tripod or other stable support at the same time and place and camera settings. I doubt the E-PL5's shot will look noticably brighter, sharper or more detailed than the E-PL1 based on my experiences with the E-PL1 and E-M5.