EPL5 - loose control wheel.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by broody, Nov 24, 2013.

1. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    It was like this since I purchased the body, but I thought I could ignore it - but it's never stopped grating on my nerves. The rear control wheel appears to be misplaced, and it's too sensitive - a single touch, not even a nudge will make it scroll, which is dreadful when reviewing images and trying to make precise adjustments.

I don't think I can send it anywhere for repair, as I imported the camera and there's no Oly support in my country. :( I know many people have told stories of the mode dial on OMDs falling off, and maybe this is a situation which can be similarly solved? Is there a known way to remove and reglue/reinforce this wheel?
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The problem with the OMD was essentially a cover for the control mechanism falling off and needing to be re glued. (It also only rotates, the E-PL5 also has push contacts and that is the source of the problem.) The E-PL5 assembly can't be fixed with glue, and has to be replaced.
  3. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    That is exactly why I switched to the EP5,that and the ibis is so much better.I guess thats why it's called ELP5 (light) they leave all the good stuff out,go figure.
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Not only do I have the same issue with the dial, but the shutter button cap was a bit flaky & fell off i thought a bit too easily. Sounds silly, but getting it back on is not a case of just clipping it back and was a pain and I'm waiting for it to fall off again. Because of the images it produces, you tend to put these comparatively small issues to the back of your head but yes, there are one or two design issues like this which you wish weren't there.
  5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    In fact, the shutter button has fallen off again this time rendering the camera is un - useable. A simple google search of this issue demonstrates that this is unfixable. Can't even sell the damn thing. To anyone reading this, don't make the mistake of buying it like I did.
  6. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I have control wheel issues too. Such a shame for an otherwise great, solid product. If anyone has a solution to this, please chime in.

sent from my Xperia Z