EPL5 Good deal or not ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zerodi, Dec 1, 2012.

1. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Asia.Ph
    Hi was at our local mall today and I saw the EPL5 + 14-42 lens + 40-150 for 27,000baht thats around $880 is that a great deal or just average.

OMD here is still 39,000 with the kit lens $1220 and 34,000 Body only , I sold my OMD for the D600 but want a m43 camera back as i still have alot of legacy glass i love using

Get the EPL5 deal or wait and save for Body only OMD ?

Thanks

2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Price valuation is highly dependent on your region (and pocketbook :D).

If you ask ppl from the us, Olympus was offering e-pl5 w/ kit lens for $599 just last week, and you could add $99 to it to get the 40-150mm. Oh yeah, there was a mailin bonus to get free Toshiba 8GB FlashAir card too on top of all that.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That sounds like a good deal but not a great one.

The main reasons to go with E-M5 are better image stabilization and integrated viewfinder. Size/weight/ergonomic preferences are personal.

4. dfreezy

dfreezy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Doug
    What about weather sealing? I was under the impression that was one of the other 'upgrades', but could be mistaken.

5. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    I just received (here in the US) two E-PL5s - one for me and one for my wife. Last week, they were selling for $599 US - half the price of the EM-5. The sensors and processing engine are the same. The main differences are the Pen lacks weather sealing, the 5 axis stabilization (it has two), and the built in EVF. I purchased the VF-3 for $99, so I paid a tad over 1/2 what an EM-5 cost. For me, that's a better deal, as I can use the extra money for lenses.

BTW, I've not tried the camera yet. We will wrap them up and save them for Christmas. My wife's idea, not mine.

6. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Nooooooo!
    You should open the e-pl5s, start taking plenty of pictures now and gift each other a bundle of pictures that you've taken from now leading up to xmas :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Asia.Ph
    Yep ill think ill save up for another EM5, I only need the body got loads of glass + my d600 :2thumbs:

8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Yes, it's a feature on the EM5. Never cared to use it myself, but you never know.

Last week, it was our American Thanksgiving holiday where we roast giant birds for dinner. Usually these birds come out of the oven dried out and tasteless, so smart cooks soak them in chilled salt water and spices prior. They sell huge plastic bags for this purpose.

My bag tipped over and covered everything nearby in salt water, including a little Samsung camera. Its LCD turned white and it started making sad beeps. Luckily it still works after I dried it off. So you can get bad weather even inside your kitchen.

If I had made a video of the above with my EM5, I could have tested out its new IBIS with legacy lenses feature. Possibly another reason to want an EM5 over an EPL5.

9. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    where did u buy vf3 for 99? could u give me the link?

10. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Asia.Ph
    I used to shoot 1/10 , 1/5 shots with the EM5 Handheld and at night when i took it to clubs and pubs its a great tool, I want it back, my D600 has superior IQ but that 5axis IBIS really works!! Also it had a nice effect at high ISO's that look more like film than what the nikons produce

11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    That was a USA turkey Friday special. The sale is over, but maybe they will do it just before the next holiday.

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You better hope they both work OK. Maybe you need to test them both now in case you need to exchange one. A couple o' thousand shots should do. :wink: