EPL5, EP5 file naming convention is confusing, isn't it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by budeny, Apr 15, 2014.

1. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO

Wanted to ask how do you keep files numbering sequential?
    Whenever I start with freshly formatted memory card my naming is like P[month number][date number]nnnn - so, for April 15 it will start with P4150001, P4150002 and so on.
    Such numbering brings complete havoc if I used 2 or more memory cards in same day, and month+day is not sequential either because April 15 will be after, lets say, October 15: P415nnnn > P1015nnnn.

So, does this bother anyone besides me and how did you solve it?
    Sure I can write small shell script to rename files to their timestamps, but I would rather fix this issue by camera settings - set and forget.
  2. Tom_Chan

Tom_Chan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    Is the naming scheme different from E-PL3? Mine has A, B and C for Oct, Nov and Dec (not 10, 11, 12), so they should be in order...
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Yes. Two different Olympus cameras shooting on the same day may have duplicate file names that conflict. You can change the first letter for that purpose in the camera settings.
  4. ErnieH

ErnieH Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I set the File Name to Auto and using the Edit Filename menu I changed the first 4 characters of the filename to EPL5. So the filename is always prefixed with EPL5 and the number sequence keeps climbing even when I switch SD cards. (At 9999 it will rollover to 0001.) I'll name my EM10 in the same way.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I dived into the menu to set "Edit Filename" as suggested above and found that my "File Name" option was set to Reset - after setting it to Auto, file names are kept in sequence and "Edit Filename" let me get rid off stupid date format.