1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Epl3 vs gx1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Superstriker#8, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Thinking about getting a backup body for carrying in my pocket or underwater (I already have a G5), which would be better, I'm mostly concerned about size, usability and jpeg quality(compared to my G5, if possible, but general insights welcome). Thanks

2. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    If you're willing to setup lightroom for default settings at each ISO you can easily use the same settings for the G5 and GX1 as the sensors are very similar. This means RAW of course but this way you'll get better results than the Oly ooc jpegs (I know as I tested my GX1 raw-to-jpegs against my now sold EM5 ooc jpegs ).

I promised to upload my settings for LR but am nowhere near my computer for the next couple of days.
    Look at my other posts when I do (hopefully Friday).
    The GX1 is very similar to the G5 (menus, buttons etc.) and at the very low prices it's going for now it's a no brainer.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    GX1 will take similar Jpegs to your G5, it has better controls than the e-pL3, and it has bounceable pop-up flash.
    I think you should get a GX1

I own an e-pM1 & a G3 which have the same sensors as you're talking about, and the RAW files from my G3 have a nicer dynamic range, but for Jpegs they seem pretty similar.
    My e-pM1 has very very good auto whitebalance though ... if that's important.
    My G3 has some of the worst auto whitebalance I've ever seen.

4. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I second that.
    auto wb on both my G5 and GX1 is a hit and miss mostly indoors. I shoot raw so this isn't an issue.
    I owned the EM5 and the EPL1 and both had very good auto wb.

If you're a jpeg shooter panasonic probably isn't the best choice especially due to bad wb...

5. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    What's the size difference? Is it noticeable?

6. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    go to camerasize.com and use the compare with lenses feature.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's my take:

GX1 -

Pros:
    - Better detail in good light
    - Excellent handling
    - Decent AWB (in comparison to the G3)
    - Very good LCD
    - Pop-up tilt flash
    - Excellent battery life

Cons:
    - Frame rate drop in low light with LCD and EVF (A big deal for me in night shooting)
    - Tends to pick a very slow shutter speed in aperture priority as opposed to raising ISO
    - Slower FPS compared to the E-PL3/PM1
    - Lack of IBIS nullifies high ISO advantage in certain cases

EPL3 -

Pros:
    - Excellent AWB
    - Tilt screen
    - Fast FPS
    - IBIS
    - Can mount latest VF-4 EVF

Cons:
    - Anemic rear LCD
    - No pop-up flash
    - No grip (must add stick on grip or get half case)
    - Will not activate stabilization in lenses with no OIS switch (very annoying)
    - Cramp controls

My take is the E-PL3 is a better street and quick style shooting camera, while the GX1 is a better deliberate camera for posed shots, lenses with OIS and daytime shooting.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Oh yeah, I too forgot how flipping awful the e-pL3's LCD is : the size, all squashed and narrow.
    Eyes like mine hate it!
    I live EVFs anyway.

9. cpclark

cpclark Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2013
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Christopher Paul
    I went through this exact same debate back in May and settled on the E-PL3. They are very similar but the deciding factor for me was the flip-screen and IBIS. I shoot mainly street photography and I've found that this model has met my needs perfectly.

10. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I would stick with a Panasonic, the Olympus operating system is just too "fiddly" if you like to make a lot of changes on the fly.

11. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I find the Panasonic OS much more fiddly and cryptic compared to Olympus. I could never figure out the logic of all the 3 to 7 page menus on my GX1. Appears to be a random gathering of largely unrelated features and options. Most Olympus menus are single page (a few 2) and are grouped in logical categories. Olympus ain't perfect and certainly could use some tweaks in organization but whips Panasonic black 'n blue.

12. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    This is subjectively correct.
    However - the original poster already has a Panasonic model very similar to the GX1 and he will probably find a similar camera to be less fiddly than a very different one.

13. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Mayhaps. I whine about it but have learned to live with it and shoot with Canon, Nikon, Oly and Panasonic so it ain't that hard to learn a new OS. The positive is the bizarre Lumix menu provides forehead slapping entertainment and helps keep the brain young!