1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL3 Shutter Lag?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MrDoug, Sep 17, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I have both EP3 and EPL3 and notice that the EPL3 (just tried it for first time today) seems to have longer shutter lag.. why is that? or is it my imagination? am I doing something wrong? :)

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The shutters are different in the E-PL3 & E-PM1. There's a news letter on the Olympus site that
    mentions this.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    There is a small amount. I read somewhere that the new shutter on the epl3 and epm1 allows for a faster burst but isn't QUITE as fast to fire the first time. I shot with both for awhile and it was never enough to cause me to miss a shot - it's still very very fast. But there is a slight difference. Not enough to influence my decision of which to keep though - I sold the ep3 and kept the epl3. PLENTY fast.

-Ray

4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Interesting. I tried both the E-P3 and E-PL3 out at the same time with the same lenses and found both to be very quick with the new lenses.

I wound up with the E-P3 but it is still slow with old lenses. After spending around 3 weeks using the Olympus 12mm f/2 and a bit longer with the new 14-42mm zoom, I put the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 on the camera and it is dog-slow to autofocus. I have been spoilt.

5. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Peter, the 20 is definitely slower than the 12, but is still a good bit faster than on the older bodies. I wouldn't call it DOG slow except in comparison to the very fast 12. And, really, the 20 is the only lens I've had that reaction to - the other older lenses are plenty fast.

In terms of the lag, I didn't really think of it as lag when I started shooting with the epl3 - the shutter has a duller, clunkier sound than on the ep3, and I just figured that the very slight difference in sensation was just the sound. But then I read that there is a slight difference and I don't doubt it. Not enough to matter, but just about enough to notice.

-Ray

6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi Ray and the rest of you guys.. I bought the EP3 with VF-2 - 3 weeks ago and fell in Love with it.. than I ordered and received the EPL3 and thought I
    would you both... EPL3 for street and indiscreet shooting with flip screen and the EP3 with another lens and just have it handy for fast switch of lenses rather than switching lenses.. two bodies two different lens. but after today with the EPL3, wow.. I like it better than the EP3.. what do I do now? LOL.. I love that flip screen and the smaller size of the EPL3.. I think the EP3 will sleep in my cabinet for awhile.. I should buy the EPM-1 and add the Flipbac tilting screen and call it good.. both will be small. whatya think? :) then I would have EPL3 and EPM1 with the add on tilting screen.. your advice please.. LOL.
    Doug

7. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I ended up coming to the same conclusion, but more on the flip screen than the small size - I like the size and feel of the EP3 more, actually. If I needed or even could have rationalized keeping two m43 bodies, I'd have kept both. But I knew I'd end up using the epl3 the vast majority of the time so I sold the EP3. If you want two, you already have them, right? If you like the EPL3 more than the EP3 and are considering the EPM1 in addition, why? If you really like the smaller form better than the EP3, why not sell the ep3 and get another EPL3. The flipback mirror isn't gonna be nearly as handy as the flip screen on the epl3 - you're gonna be looking at your images upside-down... And you lose some controls.

I guess if you want all three, you'd save some money that way, but if you sell the ep3, you should be able to spend the extra couple hundred for the EPL3, no? I'm just not sure what the EPM1 brings to the table other than the lower price and a much simpler interface for people who don't want the controls of the other two cameras. I'm sure its fine and anyone could adapt to it easily, but to me the benefits are to beginners who don't want any more dials or buttons to confuse them or to folks for whom the price difference is make or break. I don't think its smaller enough than the EPL3 to matter - they're both very small already - smaller than I like, really, but that's down to individual preference. And it doesn't sound like the price is a huge concern for you, but I could be wrong about that...

-Ray

8. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I really wanted to fall in love with the E-PL3 because it was cheaper and had the flip screen but after trying both the E-P3 and E-PL3 side by side I couldn't give up the extra controls including the thumb wheel of the E-P3.

In use I have found the excellent viewing angle and much better performance of the screen outdoors such an improvement over my old E-P1 that I don't miss not having the flip screen.

9. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho