1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL3 IBIS have any issues?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Nov 30, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    There's something weird about this thread. I do not see it on the right side bar for Recent Discussions, but only came upon it via Google. I am very much interested as to what E-PL3 owners report.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've been wondering the same thing as well. The E-PL3 and E-PM1 both share the same new shutter mechanism and body form, if that has anything to do with the issues (which might be irrelevant). The E-PM1 far outsells the E-PL3 though due to price point, so if it was a shared issue then it would not surprise me at all if people noticed it on the E-PM1 due to mass of quantity and haven't picked up on it in the E-PL3 yet.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Is it still not showing up for you in the right column? Shows up for me there.

5. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I have been reading this thread with interest and will do a few tests, I can't say I have noticed anything so far...

6. James Pilcher

James Pilcher Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Colorful Colorado
    a waste of time

I've had an E-PL3 since the very first ones hit Colorado in August. I've tried and tried to get a sharp shot using IBIS. It's just not happening. I'll admit that you can get sharper shots with IBIS than when hand-holding at certain shutter speeds, but even that is only occasionally. When it comes to sharp though, I have yet to get a truly sharp and acceptable image with IBIS and the E-PL3.

I use the Lumix 8mm, Zuiko 12mm, Leica 25mm, and Zuiko 45mm. If I want sharp, I use fast shutter speeds or call upon my good friend Mr. Gitzo. I have permanently disabled IBIS on my E-PL3. I will not investigate it again because all attempts so far have been a waste of my time.

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I just looked back through a bunch of my epl3 images. I have IBIS set to its auto setting, so it decides when to kick in and when not to. I don't recall ever turning it off because I'd ordinarily only do so with a tripod and I believe my epl3 is a tripod virgin, so to speak. I have plenty of images in the 1/100 of a second range, where I thought I read that IBIS was causing problems on the EPM1 and I'm not seeing any problems with mine. I also have more than plenty slower shutter speed shots that look very sharp, so it wasn't doing any harm there either, although I don't know if those slower shutter speed was where the EPM1 was running into trouble.

So, I obviously haven't done any thorough testing, but I have plenty of good sharp shots with IBIS turned on in the range of shutter speeds that I think I recall reading was the problem area for the EPM1. I'm sure I had plenty that were NOT sharp also, but I'm guessing the IBIS either works or it doesn't, and those shots were generally taken under pretty trying circumstances, so I'm guessing they were not IBIS related blur. Generally motion blur or me just being too herky-jerky with the camera shooting on the street. So, there's one more data point, sort of...

-Ray

8. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Testing IBIS E-PL3? some questions

I just ran a few two tests on my E-PL3 with strange results. 1. The first set was indoors handheld, taking shots of a detergent packet at 1/160 with IBIS on Auto then off. When IBIS was off the main difference was I could see the print pattern clearly(where printers mix colours using patterns) , whereas it was much blurrier with IBIS on. I was a bit shocked at the difference... so

2. I went outside a took several pairs of shots at 1/160 (alternate IBIS on and then off) and could see no very little difference... odd.

so my question is how do you test this reliably? any ideas?

or should i even bother?! and just turn it off when using 14,25 or 45 primes?