1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL3 Help - Manual Flash Settings

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kingpinnz, Aug 18, 2014.

1. kingpinnz

kingpinnz New to Mu-43

Aug 18, 2014
    Wellington, NZ
    Hey Guys

Just a quick question that im sure someone here will be able to answer easy:

How to I get manual Flashes to work with My EPL3?

Im almost 100% sure I have figured this out before as Im sure I have used the flash below with the EPL3. So much so that the flash actually lives in my EPL3 camera bag!

Im really surprised by how little info there is on the whole Digital Pen stuff online...there must be 10s of thousands of these at least out there right?

Anyhoo....can you help me out?

as a side note...has anyone else noticed that they basically don't remember stuff any more? it seems like now that I can just Google anything I really don't bother storing a lot of the info that I used to.....maybe its just me getting old but I don't think so lol

gxi4man2.yxd.

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    First you have to be careful with using non-compatible TTL flashes even if you are using them in manual mode...with the T-32 it's not so much an issue since the TTL contacts are in front of the main connector, but say a Canon TTL flash where three out of the four TTL pins mesh with Olympus' TTL contacts it can damage flash and or camera...and it doesn't matter if you are using the flash in manual mode as there's always voltages on the TTL contacts.

The next warning is trigger voltage...most consumer cameras these days can be damaged if the trigger voltage is above 6 volts...the T-32 depending on when it was made varies between 7.14v-11.3v...personally I wouldn't risk it without a SafeSync.

As for settings, just set the flash mode of the camera to "fill flash" (lighting bolt without anything else). I do this whenever using a wireless trigger, or any of my manual flashes.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think manual flashes should also work with slow sync and 2nd curtain, as it's up to the camera body to time the firing signal according to it's shutter opening.

4. kingpinnz

kingpinnz New to Mu-43

Aug 18, 2014
    Wellington, NZ
    Thanks for your replies guys...I have tried those settings with ZERO success. VERY frustrating as im almost certain Ive had it working before.
    Whats a safesync @mikefellh?

5. kingpinnz

kingpinnz New to Mu-43

Aug 18, 2014
    Wellington, NZ
    new question:

Has anyone actually used a manual flash with an EPL3 specifically?

I just tried 3 completely manual flashes with ZERO success....

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The T32 can be a bit finicky. There's a little plastic nub on the bottom of the base that lifts the contacts as you slide it into the hot shoe. The OM hot shoes had a little depression for it to fall into.

If there's not a reliable spot for it to fall into you may have to file it down to get a good connection.

Fred

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    A SafeSync is a device that goes in between the flash and camera, and clamps the flash trigger voltage to under 6volts...some older flashes, even ones that run on AA batteries, can have a trigger voltage up to 400 volts.

Back in the old days cameras used a mechanical switch to trigger the flash that could handle high voltages, but modern cameras use electronic switches that can't handle high voltages (unless they have built-in protection). Most consumer cameras are rated for a trigger voltage of 6 volts, and some only 3 volts. And that's why if you are using a third party flash you may want protection.

Here is a site that lists the trigger voltages of many common flashes:
    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html