EPL3 first look

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tigermanrocks, Aug 29, 2011.

1. tigermanrocks

tigermanrocks New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2011
    Literally received the EPL3 around lunchtime today so thought that this would be a useful first glance discussion thread.

I bought the white dual kit verison as an upgrade from my EPL1. First thing I did was take the lugs off it..they are pretty annoying sounding against the body and I dont normally have a strap on the camera anyway.

Focus speed - So so much quicker than the EPL1. The only hunting I've had was with the 40-150 where I was trying to focus on something inside min distance. Faster with the Pana 20mm too which is my main go to lens. On occasions it does focus on the "wrong" thing. But with a busy scene (was at a carnival) thats forgivable and corrected by centre spot focus.

Kit lens - the standard one is quick and I would say a lot better than mk1 in speed, noise, size...pretty much everything. Its still not the sharpest thing in the world. The 40-150 is a little stiff but very light (or at least compared to the legacy 135mm prime I've used!) Not had more than a few shots but it seems Ok for what I need. Its big though in comparison to the body so Im glad that I chose this cheaper more flexible option rather than the 14-150mm. I mean its bordering on silly how small it is with significant sized glass so do think about that.

Body - feels a lot more substantial than EPL1. You really do fit in with P&S crowd as a street shooter and almost feel smarmy compared to the DSLR users with their huge kit. Its pretty sweet to look at too. Pivot screen is great but as others say I dont really understand why they havent used all the screen when you shoot in 4:3. The black bars at the side seem a waste. So much more compact than EPL1 but the downside to this are...
    flash - I rarely use so this isnt an issue altho I dislike the fact you cant bounce flash any more
    scroll wheel - great function I didnt have before but its a little close to the flip screen so you end up using the right side only. I struggle to see how this could have been avoided in a tiny package tho an its no issue if you have screen "extended"
    grip - there isnt one. The thumb grip on the back is surprisingly good but the proposed Richard Franiec grip looks like it will be a decent purchase. A f1.8 50mm Canon fd is OK but the f1.4 feels like Im holding it in place with my thumb alone an that isnt too comfortable.
    vf2 - it looks really quite bulbous on this camera. To be honest with legacy glass its still OK but it makes me think I wont use it much with native unless really bright light. But then I guess thats the reason for this rangefinder style - you can bolt on what you need for the job.

To put in context, my preference would have been the NEX-5n but the menus are awful, no IBIS, and lens line up awful or big. maybe in time that will win out as they have the body design for me but in 2011 Im not regretting passing on this or the G3
    • Like Like x 1