1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL3 Battery Compartment Hinge

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrDoug, Sep 25, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I have EPL3 and sometimes I take Battery and SD Card out and if I leave it open and set it down wrong.. the Cover/Lid pops off.. I can easily put it back on, however I was curious if this in normal or just my camera?

2. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I am surprised of no responses yet.. no one else must not have had this problem..

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Sounds a bit on the cheap and nasty side, given the price paid. Someone else in another thread or forum mentioned the E-P3 mode selector dial had fallen off. Cheap plastic clip.

Might be worth taking it to the store and seeing if the same thing happens to other E-PL3's (ie is it a design fault or a build quality issue).

Good luck !

4. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Ya.. I think it might be a shear device...ie.. rather that breaking, it will come off..
    :frown:

5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Can't comment specifically, having only owned the E-P1,2&3. However, for those bodies have never had a door pop off. Having said that, one of the few parts listed on the Oly website is this same door - so apparently it can be lost/broken...

Sounds like the engineers got it right for your body: opting for 'shear', rather than breaking - never know how much force could be applied when open.

Just my 2 cents...

6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes, I believe that the Engineers designed and built it to 'shear' after examining it further.. thanks for the input..:smile:

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, its a very different kind of door than on the EP3. Its not really a hard hinge that swings all the way open. It looks like sort of a friction based fringe that doesn't naturally open all the way, but you have to push it past a soft "stop" to get it fully open, and then it won't accidentally close while you're getting your battery / card in or out. Then you have to push it back past that 'stop' to close it. I imagine you put it down with it all the way in the open position and that probably just causes it to pop out. Which, as you say, is better than breaking it. I haven't had this problem with it, but its good to know it will just pop off rather than breaking. It seems sort of fragile, but this sounds like its pretty well designed.

I think its built this way just to save space in a smaller body than the EP3.

-Ray

8. NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    okay i confess. my battery camera door popped off my EP3 the day i got it. :( i'm very careful with it now.

9. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    did it pop off your EP3 or EPL3? the EP3 has a fixed hinge.. just curious.. :smile:

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Good description, Ray. I received an E-PM1 today as part of an Olympus promotion, and the battery door definitely seems like an odd one, but what you say makes sense. I can't get over how small this thing is. Even with the kit zoom it seems easily coat pocketable.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Really? You got one of these giveaway E-PM1? Just out of curiosity, how did the promotion actually work? And how hard is it to get the battery door off?

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  13. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    how do like so far the E-PM1? I have the EP3 and EPL3, but kinda wish I had the E-PM1 as well.. should I buy and try? how is screen brightness compared to EP3? any diff? just curious. It does have the ART features as well?
    Doug

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Doug, I just took it out of the box, so no impressions so far, but I think the E-PM1 is pretty much the E-PL3 without the articulated LCD.

15. NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    I'm almost certain it was the battery door because I put the battery in the wrong way (forced it) and the door came off? I'm now tempted to say it was the door covering the USB port, but I had no reason to open it at the time I got the camera. Looking at it now not sure the door would have come off but something did and I was certain it was the door and made a note to be more careful. No other incidents.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  17. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Ok thanks, that is the impression I get from reading all the specs and info.. but I do like the TINY size.. sheesh.. temped to buy one of those Bad Boys..
    Thanks,
    Doug

18. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Oh, I forgot to ask.. is yours Black? forgot

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sure does. Came with a nice bag and t-shirt too :smile:.

Yep, it's black. I was kind of hoping they'd give me a color I'd never buy myself, but the black looks really nice. It's so small that it tips forward with just the Pana 14/2.5 mounted and a filter is on the lens.

20. jaap

jaap New to Mu-43

Jan 23, 2012
    I was wearing gloves today while opening the battery compartment door. I used a little too much force and the door flew out. Seems like it is a weak point of the camera.