EPL2 Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stanleyk, Mar 15, 2011.

1. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I would appreciate any help I could get on this. When using my new EPL2 with a Pentax, Konica, M42, and Lensbaby Tilt Transformer lenses, I can't get the VF2 or LCD to function correctly in the M mode. I pretty shoot everything in M so this is a problem for me. My various Panasonic and Olympus lenses work fine. What happens is the viewfinder is extremely dark when at the correct (by the light meter) exposure. It's really to dark to compose. If I take the picture at the cameras suggested shutter speed for a given f stop even thought I basically cannot see anything on the LCD or VF2 the exposure is correct. I don't have this problem with the EP2. Is this camera broken or is this the way the EPL2 works? Have I inadvertently messed up some setting?

I don't have this problem when the EPL2 is set to Aperture Priority or an Art Filter setting, only on the M setting which is what I use 98% of the time.

Any help would be appreciated. I really like the EPL2 but this is very frustrating.

Thanks so much!!!!

2. ericimbs

ericimbs New to Mu-43

Feb 1, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Double check that when you mount the lens, it clicks solidly into place. If you can still twist the lens after you've mounted it, it has not engaged sufficiently to the body, and as a finger in the air guess, this could cause what you're describing.

3. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I tried that. I sitting here looking through a Konica 40mm f1.9 at f1.9 and according to the meter I'm way overexposed. I can barely see anything on the viewfinder. I think something is broken with the camera? As soon as I switch it to Aperture Priority it's fine.

I'm mystified. Plus I'm heartsick. I love this camera. I just am not an aperture priority shooter. I like to set everything manually.

4. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    Also- I've tried a Konica adapter, a Pentax K adapter, an M42 adapter, a c mount adapter and the Lensbaby tilt transformer. They all behave exactly the same way. On M the it's so dark you can't see anything, switch it to Aperture Priority or an Art Filter and it's fine.

5. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    I just tried M mode on my E-PL2 with my Sony A to :43: adapter and it seems to work fine. Maybe try resetting your camera.

One thing of note is my lens mount adapter has a aperture control ring. If that's set to stop the lens all the way down, the screen is dark like you said. But this effects all of the modes, not just M. :confused:

6. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    Thanks for helping. It's definitely broken. My K mount adapter is a Novoflex so it has the aperture control ring. I don't think it's a problem with every adapter.