1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL2 pics are up!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Yeah baby!! bring on the PL2. I already told my dealer who is meeting with Olympus on Thursday at the CES show to get me one ordered. I should know Monday when to expect it. I can NOT wait to get my hands on that puppy. I already know I'll be MORE than thrilled

2. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Is the macro light and pen bluetooth module only for e-pl2? I know it is still too early tell but it would very disappointing if it doesnt work on the e-pl1.

3. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    HAWT!

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Now, just add a forefinger control wheel to the front, dedicated ISO and exposure comp dials, and a flip screen. Then, I'd finally have my :43: G12. :thumbup:

Seriously, though, nice looking little camera. It will make it hard to wait to see what will come next without at least giving it a shot.

Side note: anyone else get an uneasy, non-feng shui feeling from the hot shoe not being centered over the lens?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    This camera might actually force me to trade in my E-P1. It really depends if the lens on the new camera can be purchased seperatley and still focus fast on the E-P1 or if it only works on the E-PL2.

6. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    It seems from what engadget said that they are..

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The 2 looks good, but I'm not certain the interface changes are for the better. Seems good at first glance, but DPReview seems to dwell quite a bit on unintentional setting changes and that small wheel not being easy to use. I would much rather have had the thumb wheel added I think.

Also, I can't believe there is still no orientation sensor. What gives?

8. If the wheel is anything like the lower one on the E-P1 it'll be terrible. The Canon G-series cameras implement this far better - you can actually turn the wheel without pressing it down so easily

9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Agreed. The wheel on the back of the G12 is so easy to use, as is the control dial on the front. That was one thing that I have yet to be impressed by with either Oly or Panny. I've gotten a lot better with the one on the back of the GF1, but it's still harder to use.

10. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    the macro light is definitely a "must have", but all those gadgets seems very interesting :cool:

any idea about the price?

11. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Looks very promising. I agree the lower wheel of the e-p1 is not very good, but who knows if they have tweaked it to be a bit better in pl2. I'm very curious about the focus speed of the new body and also the new kit lens. I think this camera isn't for me though and I'm still waiting for the e-p3. And what comes to trading off my E-P1, that's never going to happen! I have fell in love to its looks and feel so much and I think it is a future classic! :redface:

12. txomin

txomin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Bilbao, Spain
    I love the new design. I like a lot the rangefinder style that olympus is developing for its cameras.

13. pancake

pancake Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2010
    UK south East
    OOh I love the black one with matching 17mm :)

14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I don't mind the wheel on the ep2 at all (which I believe is the same as the one on the ep1). I use it almost exclusively, and rarely adjust anything with the thumb dial unless I'm in full manual mode, which I rarely am. Then again, I had a Canon S90 for a while and I didn't mind THAT ring either and many people were pretty nearly apoplectic about how horrible that ring is/was. As long as there's a way to switch between the primary function (shutter or aperture) and ev control, one ring is plenty for me, as with the gf1 and lx5.

To each their own, but I don't find that ring "terrible" in the least...

Frankly, everything I prefer about the ep2 that I didn't like in the epl1, this epl2 addresses. Except for an orientation sensor, but that's a very very very small issue. The gf1 doesn't have it either and I'm definitely not throwing that one back because of it. I don't need one of these and won't buy one (my next m43 purchase will be something with the AF speed improvements of the GH-2 and hopefully an articulated screen, preferably in a rangefinder type body - come oooooonnnnn EP-3!). But if I was in the market, the epl2 now seems to be as nice as any of the existing Oly bodies. And is aesthetically even pretty damn close to the venerable ep1/ep2 look. A very nice step from Olympus I'd say.

-Ray

15. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm gonna probably find a way to live without the macro lights! :cool::cool:

Price sounds like $599, same as the epl1 last year this time. It'll likely come down a lot in a few months, as did the epl1.

-Ray

16. It could be that mine doesn't rotate as freely, but I don't even use the wheel on my E-P1 as the only way I can operate it effectively is to use my thumbnail. The wheel on the G10,11,12 sits about 2mm proud from the camera body and has sharper knurls that allow you to grip it properly without having to apply excess pressure.

When it comes to the E-PL2 at least one wheel is better than none, even if it may (or may not) be a bit awkward to operate.

17. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Interesting - I thought the more common complaint was that it moved TOO easily and people are forever changing settings accidentally when their thumb brushes the ring. I KNOW that's the issue most had with the S90 ring and all sorts of mods were developed to make it less easily moveable. I've never had a problem with either though, for some reason.

-Ray

18. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    Drool, drool, drool....!! Looks very nice, they've changed enough to get me interested. Larger screen, better button layout, thumb wheel, better spacing & sizing of the on/off & shutter.... I like it! If only it had a built-in VF like that new Fujifilm......

19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    What exactly does the orientation sensor do? Does it mark the picture so that when using an editor the editor can detect it and rotate it properly? Or is this just the sensor for when viewing the picture on the LCD when taken in portrait mode(vs landscape)?