1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Epl2 & p14/p20

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Aldredge, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Hey guys,

I'm currently shooting with an EPL2, and the only two lenses I have are the 14-42mm II kit lens it came with and the Olympus 40-150mm R telephoto lens refurb. I also have the VF2, which I love. I'm fairly new to photography, with this camera being my first system camera outside of a point-and-shoot.

I'm considering buying a 14mm f2.5 now, with the hopes of eventually getting the 20m f1.7 around December, but I have a few questions for you guys:

1. How fast is the AF speed? My only frame of reference is the kit zoom, which I consider adequately fast. I've read that the 14mm is quick, but the 20mm is slow, but how are these 2 lenses in comparison with the kit zoom on the EPL2 and is it sufficient?

2. There are a few shots with my kit lens, which have some CA that I've noticed. Will this be a problem with these 2 Panasonic lenses on an Olympus body? Please note that I shoot jpeg, as I use iPhoto to manage my photos and no other PP software. I would like to eventually get Aperture, but I have a feeling that Apple might be coming out with a new version soon, but that's a another story. Would I need to shoot RAW with these lenses in order to deal with lack of in-camera processing?

I'm still a student, so cost is definitely an issue and I figured these 2 lenses would give me the biggest value. I mostly shoot wildlife and a few landscapes in and around local parks, in addition to the usual nieces/nephew birthday parties. I would also like to get into street photography/more spontaneous shooting, which is why I'm looking at these 2 lenses. I would also like to learn to shoot with primes to take advantage of their low light capability. I'm a little hesitant to purchase these lenses because of the influx of new lenses and the impact they have on prices. The possibility of Panasonic releasing a Mk II of the 20mm with better AF is also something I think about.

Thanks!

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, these lenses will certainly improve your system where you are lacking. The AF speed of the 20mm is slower, but I doubt you'll notice that much difference. The 14mm is a killer buy.

However, after getting the 14mm I would consider the 20mm too close in range to be a worthy second lens. You would be much better off to save your money for the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 instead to compliment your Lumix 14mm/2.5. It is the same MSRP retail price as the 20mm. Plus, if you get the 14mm and 45mm, you definitely will have no problems with Autofocus, besides also having a much more versatile kit.

The 14mm and 45mm pair will give you the same range as your kit zoom, but with much faster and sharper lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree that getting the 45mm after the 14mm is a great idea, but I also have the 20mm as a third lens. It's so sharp, fast (f1.7) and, functionally, we're talking 28mm and 40mm - that's a pretty good spread. I'd get the 45mm after the 14 but then save for the 20. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Thanks for the replies!

The 45mm is definitely a lens that I would like to pick up in the future. However, whenever looking through iPhoto information, I noticed an overwhelming number of pictures were shot in the 14-25mm range, so I figured that I would benefit greatly from a wide-angle and a normal lens.

I also noticed a huge issue when I'm shooting during indoor parties at night. The kit lens is too slow paired with the EPL2's low-light capability. I try to keep the ISO under 1600, and I find that this is still not adequate to achieve a decent shutter speed. I'm not a fan of using flash (looks very synthetic, and the colours lose their warmth), so I definitely need a lens for these occasions. My understanding is that there is too much facial distortion with the 14mm, and the 20mm would be a better overall fit for taking more flattering pictures of people. The fact that it is a pancake is also nice. Ideally, I would like to have the 12/14mm, 20/25mm & 45mm, but since the 12mm & 25mm are out of my budget, I figured that this would be a decent compromise. The 45mm would seem like something I can postpone for a bit. What do you guys think?

Also, would I need to switch to RAW when using Panasonic lenses? In that case I should also budget for Aperture or something like that.

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Well, I almost always agree with Ned's advice but my recommendation would be to go with the Lumix 20mm before the 14mm. The kit 14-42mm II is a good lens and if you're happy with it for landscapes/street I'm not sure there's much benefit to going with the Oly 14mm prime. The 20mm, on the other hand, will let you play around with low-light photography or narrower depth of field effects, and it's just a great all-around lens. So I might recommend saving for the 20mm, 45mm, and then the 14mm if you want it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Great advice, thanks.

7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    +1 for the 20mm f1.7. The 14 is an easy sell as a first prime lens due to the low prices it goes for it eBay, but I think you may be better served by saving a bit and going straight for the 20mm for the reasons fin mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Re: Flash, I know you're hoping to avoid it, and fast glass is a beautiful thing, but in the mean time the E-PL2 flash can be held back to act as a bounce flash, giving way better results (unfortunately you have to just hold it, there's no lock or anything, but it still works).

Also, as much as I love the Oly 45, I think you're right to prioritize the focal lengths you use most, so good on you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I was going to say something along those lines - if you go anywhere near low light the 20mm will earn its keep in-spite of the slow AF.

Alternatively, depending on your finances, get the 14mm and save your $$ for the PL 25 or Oly 45 to get your low-light shooting capability (although field of view is very different - very much the difference between group shots and individual portraits).

You can continue to use JPEG's - however RAW does get you a little more post-processing lee-way when editing images. iPhoto does RAW so you don't necessarily need Aperture or Lightroom.

Good luck with your decision :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Another option would be to save up for a little longer and get the 20mm/1.7 as your first lens. It sounds like you really need that low-light capability as well as a good compromise in focal length. Your two lens kit can hold you out a little longer, can't it?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Thanks for all the advice guys!

I had a little family get-together last night and I did a bit of experimentation with different focal lengths using the kit zoom. I found that anywhere between 14mm-20mm works great, with 17mm being optimal. I was a little surprised that 25mm was not very usable for a prime option. I tried to make it work, considering that it's considered the "standard" focal length and the PL25 makes for an amazing lens, but indoors it was just a little too tight. So it looks like 20mm is going to be the best decision for me, followed by the 14mm.

I will continue to experiment with various focal lengths, and see what works best for me. I need to get into PP more, as I see of lot of room for improvement in my pictures.

Thank you for all your help guys, I really appreciate.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good choice! I'm sure you will enjoy your Lumix 20mm/1.7 very much. :)

• Like Like x 1