Epl2 & p14/p20

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Aldredge, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Hey guys,

I'm currently shooting with an EPL2, and the only two lenses I have are the 14-42mm II kit lens it came with and the Olympus 40-150mm R telephoto lens refurb. I also have the VF2, which I love. I'm fairly new to photography, with this camera being my first system camera outside of a point-and-shoot.

I'm considering buying a 14mm f2.5 now, with the hopes of eventually getting the 20m f1.7 around December, but I have a few questions for you guys:

1. How fast is the AF speed? My only frame of reference is the kit zoom, which I consider adequately fast. I've read that the 14mm is quick, but the 20mm is slow, but how are these 2 lenses in comparison with the kit zoom on the EPL2 and is it sufficient?

2. There are a few shots with my kit lens, which have some CA that I've noticed. Will this be a problem with these 2 Panasonic lenses on an Olympus body? Please note that I shoot jpeg, as I use iPhoto to manage my photos and no other PP software. I would like to eventually get Aperture, but I have a feeling that Apple might be coming out with a new version soon, but that's a another story. Would I need to shoot RAW with these lenses in order to deal with lack of in-camera processing?

I'm still a student, so cost is definitely an issue and I figured these 2 lenses would give me the biggest value. I mostly shoot wildlife and a few landscapes in and around local parks, in addition to the usual nieces/nephew birthday parties. I would also like to get into street photography/more spontaneous shooting, which is why I'm looking at these 2 lenses. I would also like to learn to shoot with primes to take advantage of their low light capability. I'm a little hesitant to purchase these lenses because of the influx of new lenses and the impact they have on prices. The possibility of Panasonic releasing a Mk II of the 20mm with better AF is also something I think about.

Thanks!

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, these lenses will certainly improve your system where you are lacking. The AF speed of the 20mm is slower, but I doubt you'll notice that much difference. The 14mm is a killer buy.

However, after getting the 14mm I would consider the 20mm too close in range to be a worthy second lens. You would be much better off to save your money for the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 instead to compliment your Lumix 14mm/2.5. It is the same MSRP retail price as the 20mm. Plus, if you get the 14mm and 45mm, you definitely will have no problems with Autofocus, besides also having a much more versatile kit.

The 14mm and 45mm pair will give you the same range as your kit zoom, but with much faster and sharper lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree that getting the 45mm after the 14mm is a great idea, but I also have the 20mm as a third lens. It's so sharp, fast (f1.7) and, functionally, we're talking 28mm and 40mm - that's a pretty good spread. I'd get the 45mm after the 14 but then save for the 20. :cool: 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Thanks for the replies!

The 45mm is definitely a lens that I would like to pick up in the future. However, whenever looking through iPhoto information, I noticed an overwhelming number of pictures were shot in the 14-25mm range, so I figured that I would benefit greatly from a wide-angle and a normal lens.

I also noticed a huge issue when I'm shooting during indoor parties at night. The kit lens is too slow paired with the EPL2's low-light capability. I try to keep the ISO under 1600, and I find that this is still not adequate to achieve a decent shutter speed. I'm not a fan of using flash (looks very synthetic, and the colours lose their warmth), so I definitely need a lens for these occasions. My understanding is that there is too much facial distortion with the 14mm, and the 20mm would be a better overall fit for taking more flattering pictures of people. The fact that it is a pancake is also nice. Ideally, I would like to have the 12/14mm, 20/25mm & 45mm, but since the 12mm & 25mm are out of my budget, I figured that this would be a decent compromise. The 45mm would seem like something I can postpone for a bit. What do you guys think?

Also, would I need to switch to RAW when using Panasonic lenses? In that case I should also budget for Aperture or something like that.

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Well, I almost always agree with Ned's advice but my recommendation would be to go with the Lumix 20mm before the 14mm. The kit 14-42mm II is a good lens and if you're happy with it for landscapes/street I'm not sure there's much benefit to going with the Oly 14mm prime. The 20mm, on the other hand, will let you play around with low-light photography or narrower depth of field effects, and it's just a great all-around lens. So I might recommend saving for the 20mm, 45mm, and then the 14mm if you want it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Great advice, thanks.

7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    +1 for the 20mm f1.7. The 14 is an easy sell as a first prime lens due to the low prices it goes for it eBay, but I think you may be better served by saving a bit and going straight for the 20mm for the reasons fin mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Re: Flash, I know you're hoping to avoid it, and fast glass is a beautiful thing, but in the mean time the E-PL2 flash can be held back to act as a bounce flash, giving way better results (unfortunately you have to just hold it, there's no lock or anything, but it still works).

Also, as much as I love the Oly 45, I think you're right to prioritize the focal lengths you use most, so good on you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    I was going to say something along those lines - if you go anywhere near low light the 20mm will earn its keep in-spite of the slow AF.

Alternatively, depending on your finances, get the 14mm and save your $$ for the PL 25 or Oly 45 to get your low-light shooting capability (although field of view is very different - very much the difference between group shots and individual portraits).

You can continue to use JPEG's - however RAW does get you a little more post-processing lee-way when editing images. iPhoto does RAW so you don't necessarily need Aperture or Lightroom.

Good luck with your decision :) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Another option would be to save up for a little longer and get the 20mm/1.7 as your first lens. It sounds like you really need that low-light capability as well as a good compromise in focal length. Your two lens kit can hold you out a little longer, can't it?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Thanks for all the advice guys!

I had a little family get-together last night and I did a bit of experimentation with different focal lengths using the kit zoom. I found that anywhere between 14mm-20mm works great, with 17mm being optimal. I was a little surprised that 25mm was not very usable for a prime option. I tried to make it work, considering that it's considered the "standard" focal length and the PL25 makes for an amazing lens, but indoors it was just a little too tight. So it looks like 20mm is going to be the best decision for me, followed by the 14mm.

I will continue to experiment with various focal lengths, and see what works best for me. I need to get into PP more, as I see of lot of room for improvement in my pictures.

Thank you for all your help guys, I really appreciate.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good choice! I'm sure you will enjoy your Lumix 20mm/1.7 very much. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.