EPL2 or EPM1? Same price.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Rskinghan, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Rskinghan

Rskinghan New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2012
    Lichfield, UK
    Rob
    I've found these at the same price and trying to make a decision.

Basically I wonder how much better the internals of the EPM1 are over the EPL2 because I think I probably like the ergonomics and manual controls of the EPL2 better but I'm wondering if the EPM1 is really the better camera?

I am planning to use legacy lenses as well once I get these and I've heard that these can feel a bit unbalanced on the EPM1.

Any opinions guys? Would love to hear opinions from uses of either but especially those who have used/owned both.

Cheers,

Rob

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    They use the same sensor, so IQ should be equivalent. Advantage of E-PM1 is faster AF. How much faster? I don't know; haven't tried to determine.

3. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I do not own E-PM1, but I do have the E-PL3 which has the same form factor as the PM1 of course. I also own E-PL2, and I prefer that one over the E-PL3. It just feels better in my hands (the grip especially), and works better in my opinion with longer lenses (like the 40-150 in my case). Having said that if you prefer the small pancake lenses the mini is definitely not a bad choice. However since you like legacy lenses I am inclined to say the PL2 would be the better choice, as these lenses tend to be a little bigger than the pancakes (especially with the adapter of course).

E-PM1 might give you faster AF (with the right lenses), but for me it has never been an issue, and with legacy lenses it is a non item anyway.

As always I guess the best thing to do is go to the local store, I honestly don't see any noticeable difference in the quality of the pictures between the two cameras (and I assume the E-PM1 will give similar output to my two cameras), so just try them and see which one fits you best.

Good luck with choosing, either camera will give you great results!

• Like Like x 2
  4. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Further to the excellent points made by Pim, I found it necessary to add a third-party grip (Flipbac G4) to the E-PM1 to achieve acceptable handling. E-PL2 is perfectly configured for me.

So why did I add the E-PM1? The subjects of much of my shooting are my very young and quick-moving grandchildren, so any edge I can get in AF is worth something!

• Like Like x 1
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've had both and I'd probably grab the E-PL2. I liked the E-PM1quite a lot but the small form factor isn't as comfortable in the hands and frankly while the E-PM1 one is fadet to AF. I never found the AF speed on the E-PL2 to be an issue. IQ wise they hare pretty much identical. I'd even say the E-PL2 might have the slightest edge.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have both and think the PL2 is better for shooting ergonomics and controls. I think I prefer the PM1 if I was only shooting auto only because it is much quicker overall, but as soon as legacy glass is mentioned or using one of the more user controlled settings like M, A, P, S etc the lack of buttons make the PM1 a bit of a drag.

Props to both of these bodies, but they've been shelved in my favor of my P3 and EM5.

• Like Like x 1
  7. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Oh, and welcome aboard, Rob!

• Like Like x 1
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome Rob, I have the E-Pl2 and the E-P3. I haven't noticed any real difference in AF speed or IQ. I passed on the E-PM1 because I have large hands and I prefer the feel of the larger bodies a well as the look of the cameras. The larger body works better for me with legacy glass as well. I also prefer the control setup of the E-PL2, more choices for customizing buttons. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Rob, have you used Olympus μ4/3 cameras before? One somewhat hidden but valuable feature available on all the models is the Super Control Panel. It's a winner for me; gives me a single screen with all the key adjustments I need all in one place. That way, I don't have to try to remember what's assigned to what button or dial. Try it you'll like it!

10. Rskinghan

Rskinghan New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2012
    Lichfield, UK
    Rob
    Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the welcome and the great responses! I haven't had a micro 4/3rds camera before - Last SLR I had was film which I loved but then it was stolen and I just made do with good quality compacts for the last couple of years. Now that has broken and I'm starting to feel the itch to get back into photography. I don't like the bulk and clunkiness of the DSLRs and I'm really intrigued by Micro 4/3rds and I think that I'll love it.

I always quite liked to fiddle about with settings and I think i want the flexibility of being able to add legacy lenses which means I am leaning more towards the EPL-2 at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  11. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I've had an EPL1 for a few years and was holding out for an EPL5, but recently bought a refurbished EPM1 because of the low price. The EPL2 were a little higher, but I had no interest in it when it was new and a lower price didn't help. Faster focus speed, the 14-42 mk II lens, small size, and an AF illumination LED were features that drew me to the EPM1. Positive user posts here on the EPM1 interface here also said it was useable, and it is. It's actually pretty ingenious and much like older PEN's after one gets into the menus.

With legacy lenses, any long zoom or tele will unbalance any PEN. You should budget for a VF2/VF3 external viewfinder to use anything longer than 50mm. With a VF2, I can hand hold 200mm lenses on the EPM1 with confidence. 300mm is a challenge. I did have to reprogram the Video button for the magnify mode needed for MF. The EPL2 gives you a dedicated magnify button.

It's my contention though, that manual lenses are handled well with the EPM1. You will be using almost the exact same button sequences on either camera to set shutter speed, move the focus box, or change ISO/EV. The EPL2 does give you the mode dial.

There is the question of whether IBIS is as effective on the EPM1. I have not decided this either way.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    All the legacy lenses I use are fine on the e-pm1. I am yet to be dissapointed with any aspect of the e-pm1.