1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL2 or EPL3?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SCT, Dec 16, 2011.

1. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Well, I've been contemplating on upgrading. I just can't decide on which, the EPL2 or 3. The only reason I don't like the 3 is because of the lack of a finger grip. The size of the 3, I haven't seen one in person yet so I'm not sure. Hopefully it's not as small as a p&s. I like the retro, EPL1 size. The third would be the LCD screen being a flip. I just see a big risk of a damage screen there.

Primarily, I only want to upgrade so I can use the Penpal and the remote trigger.

I wonder if the finger grip on the epl1 comes off easily...

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, it is. The body portion of one, anyways... That's what's good about it though, in my eyes!

If going that compact is not your intention, then the E-P3 would be a better choice. The E-P3 is the proper upgrade to both the E-PL2 and the E-P2. The E-PL3 is a new branch altogether.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Epl2 is a very competent camera, and can be found on the cheap, especially used.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

4. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I'd much rather buy electronics new. The price isn't a problem, I can work for it. But justifying the price is one of the keys such as features and performance. Like, the EPL3 v. EP3, what justifies the $200 difference and is it reasonable enough.

@Ned, I'm eyeing the EP3. I like how they have an optional larger finger grip available for it. Maybe it would be a good thing for it being a bit my compact, I could fit some more stuff, a lense maybe, into the bag.

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Flipbac makes 3 different styles of grips that I believe are compatible with the E-PL3. I'm pretty sure Ray has one on his camera. Perhaps he'll weigh in here soon.

Here's a link to Flipbac's website:

Flipbac Camera Grips - Chose your style.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think E-P3 will work best for you. Great ergonomics with grip, touch to focus - very useful for shallow DoF, effective IBIS. One downside is that its built-in flash can't bounce unlike E-PL1/2 the burst mode is mediocre at best compared to excellent 5.5fps for E-PL2 and E-PM1 (important for HDR bracketing).

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I mentioned getting the EPL2 used, as the bodies are selling for about $200, and it's hard to move a 14-42 lens for much more than $100, so spending like $499 on an EPL2 kit new rubs me the wrong way. It's also one generation back in AF and WB technology, and it's $200 down the minute you buy it. But for $200 bucks (if you were price sensitive) it's worth it for trying out the larger body size. Frankly, if they made a Pen Pro that was essentially the EP2 body with a built in EVF, I'd be ecstatic. I like the body shape a lot.

If you don't mind the price, and you want the bigger body, then go EP3. The prices new have dipped a bit, and it's a beautiful bit of kit. I don't need the larger size, so I saved some money on the EPM1. YMMV.

8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    A middle ground between new and used is refurbished. B&H Photo has some attractively priced E-PL2 refurb kits for sale (e.g., $389.95 for camera + 14-42 kit lens). I bought a refurb when it was $60 higher :)mad:) but I have no regrets. Truly like new IMHO.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Sensor output is virtually unchanged - the main differences lie in features and AF-S speed.

10. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I had the exact same question and decided for the E- PL3, I was bothered by the missing grip at first (and even bought the flipbac grips - now unused) but very soon got used to it, and now do not miss it at all. In fact, I like the more compact form. It was a gamble as I had never held one before, but it paid off. I love the better AF and the dial wheel (on E-PL2 as well) so much easier to change settings then the E-PL1. The flip screen is an unexpected bonus and feels well constructed - very useful for unusual angles and discreet shots.

I would recommend handling one to see if you like the feel of it in your hands.

11. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    This was the same exact question I had when I was looking for a new camera a month or so ago. I ended up buying an E-PL2 from someone here.

I really wanted the E-PL3 because of the tilting LCD. I was so used to it on my E-600, and used it so much, that I almost bought that camera just for that. The problem for me was two fold: it was way more expensive and the rear dial placement was too tight for me. It was actually harder for me to change settings while holding the camera than the E-PL2 was. My local store had both, so I was able to play with them side by side.

I found an E-PL2 for $260, used, and bought it. I think it was a good decision for me. I really like the look and feel of it, more than the E-PL3, but that's my opinion. I have a silver one, and added the Aki Ashai skin, which looks great.

I have figured out that I still prefer the look, feel and operation of my E-P1, so that is now my primary camera, but the E-PL2 is a close runner up.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That would be the E-PL3 and E-PM1 that has the 5.5fps burst mode. The E-PL2 still has the old shutter mechanism like the E-P3 and every other PEN, with only 3.5fps.