1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

EPL2 or EP2 OR GF2?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pj13, Jul 19, 2012.

1. pj13

pj13 Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Paco
    I have an EPL1 w/ the 14-42 that I really love. My birthday is coming up and I think I might want a second body. One body I would use primarily for my Holga lens the other for everything else. I shoot street, landscape, and abstract fine art, as well as my seven year old son and family. I find the EPL1 good for almost all of that except with the more action type stuff that comes with photographing a kid. It is difficult for me to catch him in action and in focus. I'm sure I could be better at my job as photographer, but for not that's how it is.

I don't have a bunch to spend right now, at the high end I was looking at the EPL2 with the kit lens for $364 and the GF2 with the 14mm (that I already own) for $374. Seems to me the GF2 has a better LCD with touch, but the EPL2 has IBIS and since I use a Holga and the 14mm, I think the EPL2 would win here.

Another option is I found both EP2 and EPL2 bodies for $249. The question I have here is that other than a built in flash (which I rarely use) and the metal body of the EP2, what is the major difference between the two. It seems the EPL2 has a faster AF but is that due to newer 14-42ii lens or the body mechanics? If AF was equal should I someday get the 14-42ii, it seems to me perhaps the metal body of the EP2 might make it a better choice. But I don't really know since I have not handled either.

Final option is another EPL1 body for $150 and a Holga lens kit for $100 so I can have the fisheye and macro etc.. which would also be $250 total. I really enjoy the one Holga lens I have and think it would be awesome to have a dedicated digital Holga kit.

So any help from those who have experience with all three cameras would be great. I have only used the EPL1. I love the IQ and the overall experience, but I think a faster shutter speed and AF would be helpful.

Thanks much.

2. pj13

pj13 Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Paco
    dhazeghi just posted on :43: bargins, and now a refurbished EPM1 for $300 is in the running. Argh! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Pick up EPM1 , its a wonderful camera actually .I just love it.
    Cheers

4. pj13

pj13 Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Paco
    Thanks! Looking at it now, it does seem to have the most features for the money. :smile:

5. pj13

pj13 Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Paco
    Just ordered the EPM1 refurbished. Thanks for the help.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.