EPL2 image stabilisation: worked a few weeks ago, rubbish now

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cameronp, Dec 11, 2011.

1. cameronp

cameronp Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2011
    Kent, UK
    So, I know there have been hundreds of threads already about problems with the IBIS in Olympus cameras. Up until recently I'd been in the "what's the problem, it works wonderfully for me" camp - until suddenly, it didn't. Now I have serious shake induced by the IS1 and IS3 modes, and IS2 works okay but for long exposures (i.e. when it would be useful) it is quite clear that it is only correcting for shake in one dimension.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? i.e. IBIS worked when the camera was brand new, but not later

I'd be tempted to send the camera off to Olympus for repairs, but I'm leaving in late January for some long-term traveling (and bought the EPL2 specifically with this in mind), and am not convinced that they'd get it back to me in time.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    IS.2 and IS.3 are only supposed to correct in one dimenson. These are your panning modes. What kind of long exposures are you doing? IS needs to be turned off if you're using a tripod.

3. cameronp

cameronp Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Yeah - sorry, I should have been more clear. I was trying to say that my experiments from trying the different modes suggested that the image stabilisation was working properly in one direction, and inducing vibration in the other.

My long exposure I was meaning in the range of, say, 1/4 - 1/15 sec with the Panasonic 14 lens, handheld. These used to be (reasonably) sharp, but now are not.