1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Epl2 IBIS problem (excess horizontal shift)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by yottavirus, Sep 22, 2011.

1. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I've noticed recently that my IBIS seems to be working poorly, not allowing me to hold 1/3 anymore. I tried 1/10 with IBIS mode 1, but it seems like 30% of my photos are blurred. When I turned it off, ALL my photos where sharp at 14x.

It's probably more likely that the IBIS settings are screwed up, but has anyone experienced this before? I'm using the 20/1.7 and have the focal length set to 21mm. It's ALWAYS horizontal blur, which is meant to be the least problematic as people don't wobble that way.

Out of the 8 shots without IS, 7 are perfect and one has some vertical shake. Out of the 8 shots with IS, 5 are perfect and 3 have some form of horizontal shake.
    I tried both the 9-18 and 14-42 at 18, and they yield the same results. When IS is off, I got 8/8 shots perfect from both of them. With IS, it dropped to 4.
    I've also tried holding it portrait mode, which gives me vertical shake, which confirms that it's the horizontal movement of the IS.

I really miss being able to use 400 iso in low light indoors.

edit: seems to be alleviated when I switch to vertical only IS, but there's still blur even though there's none on the off, so it must be the IBIS' problem.

2. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

If IBIS is causing, instead of eliminating, blur then yes, it seems you do have a problem. Probably the camera needs to go back to Olympus for a checkup.