1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EPL1Focus/sharpness.with M.Zuiko 45mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ollie43Pen, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Ollie43Pen

Ollie43Pen New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2011
    Based on Robin Wong's generous and extensive 3 part review of the M.Zuiko 45 mm I am wondering if it is worthwhile to get 45mm if the images are noticeably less sharp than that lens on EP 3. (i am not buying an EP 3).

On the other hand, can anyone suggest the best settings on EPL1 to tweak it so that it would produce EP3 quality and sharp images, with the 45mm?

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's true, some cameras are sharper than others. When I upgraded from the Nikon D2X/D200 to the D3/D300, the newer cameras were just sharper all around with better edge acuity. Olympus processing probably did the same. I don't think the lens quality is any less, it's just that the camera tech has improved.

3. Ollie43Pen

Ollie43Pen New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2011
    I understand that, but am hoping that forum members may have found or will find preferred settings to tweak the EPL1 so that it matches or approximates the EP3 out of the box results with the lens.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I saw Robin's review. From web sizes, I couldn't really tell much difference between the E-PL1 and E-P3 images. They E-PL1 still looked pretty darn sharp. :wink:

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Maybe it's just due to difference in jpeg sharpening between the two models.

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Unless you're going to be printing very large sizes, the sharpness difference will be negligible.

If you want to feel better, you should know that the E-PL1 is considered one of the better PENS with regards to image quality. A few have noted that it is sharper than the E-P1 (E-P2 as well?) due to a weaker AA filter (weaker = sharper).

7. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    do you think using the 45mm with a panny body with out ibs will cause issues? like shitty blurry photos from hand shake?

8. Ollie43Pen

Ollie43Pen New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2011
    Sharpness

In the third part of his blog on the 45mm he says he stopped shooting with the EPL1 in about 20 mins and says he then use the EP3 and he feels the results were much better than with the EPL1.

9. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Also we have to remember that comparing the "old and plastic" E-PL1 and the "new, heavy and metal" E-P3 of course makes you FEEL the latter is better.

Also does it matter, in every day life, if one gives 95 points to the E-P3 and only 93 points to the E-PL1 and because it's a lens test, continues with the "better" one. Of course the newer is better, but we probably wouldn't notice the difference.

The next picture I have taken over 9 years ago with 2 megapixel Sony. OF COURSE it's totally crap and tells us how huge, enormous and monumental the development has been during these years... :biggrin:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. I think perhaps that Robin may well have new camera stars in his eyes. If there's one description that does not fit the E-PL1 it is "soft".

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-P1 and E-P2 are the softest. The E-PL2 and newer use the Trupic V+ Image Processor with Fine Detail Processing as introduced with the Olympus E-5. This processor allows them to use the weakest AA filter of all, which is almost clear. Very much like the Sigma with Foveon sensor.

Prior to the E-5 though, many users noted the significantly weaker AA filter used in the E-PL1. I believe this was a prototype to the system used in the E-5, but the new weak AA filter wasn't marketed as such until the E-5 was introduced. This appears to be a common pattern for Olympus, to test out a proposed improvement in one camera model without marketing it, until it's ready for public announcement in another model.

So I don't really know exactly where the E-PL1's AA filter sits in comparison with all models, but it's definitely weaker than all previous PENs like the E-P1 and E-P2 (the only E-System body with NMOS sensor which had a notably weak AA filter before the PENs was the E-510), but it's not weaker than the E-5 and E-PL2 though it may come close.

12. In absolute resolution terms I feel the E-510 and E-PL1 are similar and at a point where (with the right lens) I don't know how much more resolution you would expect, need or want from a 10 or 12MP sensor respectively. The E-PL1 handles noise and colour better IMHO.

13. Ollie43Pen

Ollie43Pen New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2011

Good perspective, beautiful pic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mguffin

mguffin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Westwood, NJ
    But, can you print it 4 feet wide... :rolleyes: Megapixels are so overrated...

15. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I believe I can. I don't know how it looks though :biggrin:

Seriously, back then I looked it from my laptop and I was happy. Now I look it from my laptop and nothing has changed. Did I need those 10 or so bigger and better ones during this nine years...

Okay okay, because of those better ones I didn't have money for beer or bars, so... Not bad :rolleyes:

16. OceanView

OceanView New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2010
    Has anyone used this lens on a GF1 and if so how was the result?