1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Epl1 with adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by angloasturian, Apr 20, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

I have many adapted lenses for my E-PL1.This morning I put on my Voigtlander 25mm/f4 and decided to experiment. I took three identical photos with the settings 'P', 'A' and 'S'. It was a sunny day so I set the aperture at f8 ( ISO 400). I found that both the 'P' and 'A' settings gave identical images (same KBs) and were impossible to differentiate (IQ, Colour, contrast etc...). The 'S' setting gave slightly overexposed images.
    So, if apparently if you can use 'P' ( 'Professional' according to somebody, I don't remember who, and obviously tongue in cheek) and it works well, why bother with 'A' and , especially, 'M'. There are are probably many technical, artistic, aesthetic etc.. reasons why not - and I would like to know what they are. Please educate me.

2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Hi Colin
    Ever since my film slr days I have used Aperture priority and so to with digital.

It controls depth of field, is the way I prefer to work for my image subjects also you can choose a "wide" Aperture to allow a faster shutter speed which aids sharpness.
    A wide Aperture allows low ISO 100-200 so less noise

Some Pany lenses at maximum aperture offer very good sharpness without "Stopping down" 1-2 stops as is recommended normally ... besides often you don't need corner to corner sharpness.

Your P S and A exp. variations sounds like light change or human error

• Like Like x 1
  3. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    'P', 'S', and 'A' are automatic exposure modes. In 'P' (Program) the camera sets both aperture and shutter speed according to amount of light and ISO. in 'S' (Shutter Priority) the user sets the shutter speed and the camera sets the corresponding aperture, again depending on the amount of light and ISO. In 'A' (Aperture Priority) the user sets the aperture and the camera sets the corresponding shutter speed.

'S' and 'P' modes do not work with adapted lenses, because they depend on the camera being able to set the correct lens aperture. If you obtained correctly exposed pictures with an adapted lens in either mode, it was a matter of luck.

'A' works with adapted lenses because the light meter can read the amount of light coming through the lens (which depends on the aperture set) and set the appropriate shutter speed. This works even though the camera cannot communicate with the lens.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 3
  4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Antonio,

that's interesting! For legacy lens shooting, I've been using Shutter priority with Auto ISO on the E-P1/2/PL1 and finding that it gives me maximum exposure flexibility.

I can set the aperture on the legacy lens, shutter speed on the body and use EV compensation to adjust auto exposure... with ISO being adjusted by the camera to give the desired auto exposure.

It seems to be working extremely well for me... and quite consistently too.

Cheers

Brian

5. e-pl1

e-pl1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
  6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    One thing I now find annoying, living in such a sunny climate, is that the M43 cams max out at 4000th of a sec

7. e-pl1

e-pl1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    4000th of a sec...

luxury :rofl:

E-pl1 has only 1/2000 max speed

8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    why did you buy the E-pl1 and not the EP-1

I reckon I may just get another EP-1, even with all it's faults, (I cannot stand the stupid ring dial, menu system etc - I need to go back to my Nikon, now, at least three times a week to keep sane), ..... as it really is a classic - reminds me of an Alfa, in a way, great cars, but I hated the seats and controls and the electrics were just scary

9. e-pl1

e-pl1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    - little cheaper
    - has flash
    - better grip
    - look better (subjectively)

10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
  11. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    You don't need a built in flash with an EP - don't use it, the shots look great without it - you can hand hold it at some really slow speeds and the non flash low light shots look really great - IMHO

I thought that they looked the same - but anyway the EP-1 is a classic in the Oly style

]
    EE_2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

12. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I agree Bill, the silver E-P1 is still my favourite! the user interface needs an update, in line with the E-PL1 though.

Cheers

Brian

13. e-pl1

e-pl1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010

I wanted black version...

I agree, if you have fast lens, there is no need for flash
    PEN is very good at high ISO ;) 

14. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    I stand corrected.:rolleyes:  I did not factor Auto ISO into the equation. I guess it makes perfect sense that it would work with Auto ISO since the camera is adjusting the sensitivity of the sensor to the light reaching it. You are in fact manually setting the aperture and shutter speed, and letting the camera choose the ISO for the correct exposure. However, my original statement is correct if you are setting the ISO manually.

In any event, there should be no difference between setting the body on Shutter Priority and setting it on Manual, since you are manually controlling the aperture on the lens, instead of it being set by the camera.

Regards,

Antonio

15. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.