EPl1- vs OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tdekany, Nov 22, 2012.

1. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
  2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Jpegs of my E-PL1 with kit 14-42 lens vs my OM-D's with it's 14-42 kit lens. (Both cameras set to Vivid picture mode and +1 sharpness and the colors adjusted slightly in the cool direction with the Apple Preview program)
  3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Lets see some comparisons at ISO 6400 handheld with a slow shutter.

4. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm not sure what the point is here? Please elaborate!
  5. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    how come the OMD looks over saturated?
  6. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    In my opinion, the e-pl1 at low iso in good light produces a better jpg then the OMD. It is sharper with more rich color, but not by leaps and bounds, though I do gibe the e-pl1 a slight edge.

However, at higher iso and also in shadow areas the e-pl1 has noise, while the OMD has a cleaner file.

plus, I can handhold shots with a shutter speed of 1/8 second, which is diffulcult with the e-pl1.
  7. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I have exactly the same opinion about the E-PL1 vs OMD. OMD's low ISO images in good light can be plenty sharp, however, when fitted with a very sharp lens like the high grade Zuiko 12-60mm four thirds lens that Dara Hazeghi uses (with adapter) with his OMD for landscapes:
    White Mountains and Ancient Bristlecone - Open Horizons -- Dara Hazeghi
  8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The OM-D can do stuff no PEN (that I've seen) can do, like Live Bulb/Time. Also can you combine multiple images in the PEN into one, and adjust exposure while doing so?

Those features alone make the OM-D a no brainer choice.
  9. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

sure, the OMD can do so much more and is a far superior camera, but the e-pl1 in my eyes produces a slightly better jpg.
  10. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I don't have an OM-D, but I find this is true. I went through e-pl1, e-pl2, and e-pl3 -- and I was most satisfied with E-PL1's JPEG output. Again we are only talking here of JPEG outputs -- there's a reason I'm holding an E-PL3 rather than the E-PL1.
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    No-brainer? Ridiculous. :mad:
    If the lack of live-bulb (or no desire for long exposures) hasn't hindered my photography, that feature is irrelevant.
    Bear in mind the e-pL1 can do stuff that no e-M5 can do : bounceable pop-up flash at the slide of a button.

Back on-topic : I can only agree that at low ISOs the e-pL1 (and stablemates) can give nicer colours for SOOC Jpegs than the e-M5, although it's going to be on a case-by-case basis and mostly when there's some sky involved too.
    As for sharper : no, I don't reckon the e-pL1 makes sharper Jpegs and I'm a big fan! The e-M5 seems able to squeeze more sharp detail from a scene in my very limited testing experience.
    What is obvious is the setting for in-camera Jpeg sharpness are shifted by about 2 points in either camera and I rarely use my e-pL1 at anything more than minus 1 sharpness. I'm guessing that'd be about equivalent to plus 1 sharpness in the e-M5, but I could be wrong. Let's just say that I'd run away from +1 sharpness in the e-pL1 : halos and scratchiness happen in mine.
  12. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    i definitely agree:

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    With small print sizes and low ISO, one cannot distinguish between the least expensive digital camera and the most expensive camera.

The larger the print size and the higher the ISO, the easier one can use IQ to separate less expensive from more expensive.

Generally, at lower ISO's and smaller sizes, the differences between expensive and and less expensive, is that the more expensive camera will make it easier to capture the exceptional shot and deliver a higher consistency ratio (keepers to trash).

14. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
  15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Hideous and terrifying.
    Couldn't you have put those inside "spoiler" tags with a warning?