epl1+viewfinder, epl2 without viewfinder, or G3

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by blb, Sep 8, 2011.

1. blb

blb Guest

At current Amazon pricing, I can get an epl1 and viewfinder for about the price of an epl2 without the finder. For slightly more, I can get the g3 with viewfinder and reportedly better RAW performance. Like everyone else and his brother, I'm looking for a good daily carry - though not pocketable - camera for when I don't want to carry the dslr. (Other possibilities would be to go with a canon g12 or the olympus xz-1, or to get the smallest/lightest 30mm range lens I can for my t2i). I know, the real answer is to quit shopping and go shooting..., but what are your thoughts?
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    If VF is critical, IMO, G3.
  3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Since you have a dslr already, I would really suggest handling the models your considering first, and see which one feels right. These cameras all have certain attributes that make them appealing, yet if you don't get things you want/need for it to be useable it'll all be for not and the search will continue. Also. Are you planning on using just native glass or are you going to implement legacy glass? If so, you will truly appreciate a viewfinder. Menus and how you access are also different - e-pl1 all buttons, e-pl2 provides a dial as well as buttons and updated OS, and G3 is a different OS with dial and buttons, I believe. Olympus cams will have image stabilization built into the body, so any lens used can be stabilized, where as Panasonic offers stabilization through the lens, hence only certain glass will have this benefit. I'm an amateur and this is what I can offer as advice, good luck with your search. You may also want to consider used, off this site for a savings, and easier to sell if it's not what you wanted if you decide to buy online. Let us know what you decide and why if you don't mind, it's always interesting to see what one decides and why.
  4. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'm on a similar boat. I have tried the Canon G12 for several months and have decided that without a useable VF, it's just not working for me. This is problematic for me outdoors, indoors it's tolerable. I sold it several weeks ago.

So now I'm debating between a G3 and epm1 with EVF for roughly the same price as the G3. I might get the epm1 eventually. With it, I'll have a really small camera when I dont need the EVF (indoors).

I'm still not sure though because the G3 is really attractive. With its built-in EVF, fully articulated touch screen lcd, only-minutely slower focusing compared to the newest pens, and well documented better sensor, it's really a hell of a camera.

In the end I'd probably go for the epm1 due to its smaller size without the EVF. With that said, you can check here for size comparisons if that interests you..

EP3 vs G3 High ISO 20mm 1.7 and 25mm 1.4 [Page 2]: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Note that the ep3 is slightly larger that the epm1.
  5. blb

blb Guest

Another contender...

I'm going to try to get my hands on a G3 this weekend, but I may have to hold onto my money until I learn more about Fuji's x10. On paper, is sure looks to have hit a sweet spot.
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    If you want a full time viewfinder, this is a no-brainer. If you don't, it becomes more of a question. It sounds like you do. Hence, no brainer - get the one with the full time VF. If I'm wrong, then go handle all them them and let your instincts guide you.

7. xanaduflipper

xanaduflipper Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I'd go with the E-PL1 & VF-2. You'll definitely need a viewfinder. I'd always choose Olympus over Panasonic but that's just me :)
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    G3 sensor is miles better.
  9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The G2 is $312 at Amazon, or $300 at B&H (since you are already an SLR user, I'm sure I don't have to extoll their reputation):
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Digital Camera Body DMC-G2KBODY B&H Photo

If you're looking for a viewfinder camera, you won't find a better deal. I was in the same boat as you. I wanted a smaller camera than my D90 or D200, but I wanted a viewfinder and other "serious" features of an SLR. The G2 has a viewfinder that automatically turns on, very cool on-body controls, and is going for very cheap right now. They basically took the G1, re-did all of the controls and added a touchscreen, and repackaged it. For me, unless I had $1,000 to drop on the GH2, this was the perfect camera for me.