1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL1 - pictures of kids on a stage dancing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DancingPhotos, Aug 23, 2011.

1. DancingPhotos

DancingPhotos New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2011
    Hello everyone!

I recently purchased the Konica Hexanon f/1.8 for my epl1. I'm totally impressed by the quality over the kit lens for certain shots.. However; I need a good recommendation for a zoom capable lens to capture kids dancing on a stage. The lens should be great with low-light and can capture moving objects(kids)

I'm not too worried about MF. :)

Thanks!

2. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Your best bet is to use manual lens. There are 100mm 2.8 OM lens. I also believe there is 135mm 2.8 OM lens also. Ebay is a good place to start.

3. DancingPhotos

Aug 19, 2011
    Hi. I'm ok with a manual lens. I'll take a look at eBay for your recommendations.

4. DancingPhotos

Aug 19, 2011
    I also realize that this lens will be slower, smaller max aperture - so what's your opinion on how this will handle in may low light or children on stage settings? :smile:

5. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Another place is keh.com.. Look at what used lens they have on hand. Here's a 100mm f2.8 for $76. KEH BGN condition is decent, imho.
    Konica 35mm 100 F2.8 HEXANON AR EE (55) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com

What would be nice and fast for you is an 85mm f1.8, but the prices get too high for me. Here's the current KEH inventory.
    Konica 35mm Fixed Focal Length Lenses - KEH.com
    Also go to their main page and look at Canon FD and Olympus OM offerings. Compare with ebay.

At these focal lengths, you're going to find it much easier using a VF2 with your PEN. With or without it, you'll probably find it best to focus on a stationary subject at the appropriate distance, and then wait for a dancer to move into that range. And if the dancers are under spot lights, you might have to dial down the exposure in those cases.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DancingPhotos

Aug 19, 2011
    Hey harrysue - This lens can zoom in and out? My Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.8 cannot.. Just want to be sure :)