1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL1 Malfunction - Help!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RobertinArabia, Oct 5, 2012.

1. RobertinArabia

RobertinArabia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    My new PL1 function perfectly if I use Intelligent Esposure mode or Sceen mode. It has stopped working in P.A.S.M. modes. The rear monitor goes very dim and exposures are awful.

Any ideas?

2. RobertinArabia

RobertinArabia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    EPL1 unreliability discussion on Flicker. I reset camera and it appears to be working. It should not have happened. Must be a lot of unhappy Olympus customers.

3. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Bad link.

4. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    This was probably the intended link:
    Flickr: Discussing E-PL1 problems in OLYMPUS PEN E-PL1

(I'm just a passerby, I haven't read it all)
    (but I did see this:)
    "andyrobertson123 says:

OK, problem happened again today. It seems to be to do with the pin that locks the lens in place. If you push the pin in, the screen blacks out, and when you release it, it comes back on. I think for some reason the camera thinks the pin is depressed even when the lens is locked in place. Annoying, looks like I'm going to have to send it back :( "

5. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Thanks.

I haven't had any problems - neither the one in the thread or the OP's. Now, occasionally it goes into power saver made and blacks out the EVF so that I have to press the shutter, wait for it to "wake up" and then can make my shot. Fortunately I'm mostly a landscaper so that's rarely a problem.

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I find the E-PL1 to be a reliable workhorse that does not need to be babied. The new OM-D with it's fancy image stabilization system and controls may be a bit fragile, but the Pen cameras seem to be rugged to me, just like the other Olympus digital cameras I have owned.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have not had this problem on either my personal one or the one at work. Thanks for the heads up! I will keep this in mind if it does this as I shoot in P 90 % of the time.