EPL1 lens adapter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pkeenan80, Oct 10, 2011.

1. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Hi there,

I have an EPL1 and I'm looking to buy some lenses so I can start experimenting. I know I'll need an adapter of this so can anyone recommend one? I'm pretty new to this and its a minefield if you don't know what you're looking for.

I haven't got hundreds to spend so I'm hoping to be able to get a reasonably-priced adapter and a couple of second-hand manual lenses.

It'd also be good if someone could recommend a good universal lens type for the adapter to fit, if that makes sense!

2. Declan

Declan Mu-43 Regular

Hi Pete,

Well, you might wanna consider to had a "light version" adapter 4/3 to m4/3 and started with Zuiko OM 50mm....or the m42-m43 adapter with tons of varies of prime fix lenses to start

I think both still with in your budget:thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    M42 screw mount with old Pentax lenses is the cheapest... but I would definitely go for the OM mount instead to mount OM Zuiko lenses. The overall quality is so much better, and they are still very affordable! The Pentax screw mount also has some excellent high quality glass, but the OM is safer. You don't really need to know your stuff to get good quality glass there, as they're pretty much all good. :)

Leica M39 will also get you some very high quality glass which can be affordable. Either expensive Leica lenses (not so affordable), or very cheap post-war Soviet lenses (affordable yet surprisingly good!). :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Declan

Declan Mu-43 Regular

+1 Ned, i also had an m42-4/3 and Pentax-4/3 to start an experiment with different mount which for all this time i use to stick with the Zuiko....Ned, i wonder the konica 40/1.8...how is it?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I have gone with a Canon FD convertor and a range of Canon FD Fit lenses. I find them fairly good qaulity and well built, you get a nice image from them and they can be purchased for a very reasonable price.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    There's no such thing as a universal lens type. In terms of availability and pricing of second-hand lenses, Canon FD mount and Nikon F mount are probably the easiest to find and among the least expensive. Olympus OM is okay, but tends to be rarer, hence more expensive save for the most common lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Thanks for your help guys... I went for an OM adapter which whilst it was a non-brand one off eBay, is still really good... managed to pick up some reasonably priced lenses and having alot of fun with them