Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Rodchenko, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Rodchenko

Rodchenko Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Exiled From Hyperborea
    There's a bunch of letters!

I have a Pen EPL1, and like to use the IS1 setting. No problem, as it seemed happy to work with the kit zoom.

Then I bought the 15mm lens, and set the IS focal length setting accordingly. I don't imagine it's much of an issue with a wide angle, but I did anyway.

When I fitted the 40-150 zoom, I checked the settings, and noticed it still said 16mm (I don't expect they anticipated making a 15mm lens when they set it up). I'd been using the 14-42 in between, so it surprised me. And there's no 'Auto' setting for focal length.

I checked my EXIF data, and it seems to know which lens is fitted. Should I just ignore the setting and carry on? I just want the confidence that the camera's stabilising properly, and the shakes are all me.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The IS focal length is always Auto when it can digitally read the focal length of the lens, which will be any time an auto 4/3 or m4/3 lens is mounted. The manual focal length setting is only used for manual glass and will remain at the last setting you used until the next time you mount a manual lens. When an auto lens is mounted, it will ignore the manually inputted focal length.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    If you are using native lenses, I believe the IS takes care of itself, as you saw that it recognizes the focal length of the lens attached.

Edit: Didn't see Ned's reply there. If Ned says it is so, then you can bet the farm that it is so. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rodchenko

Rodchenko Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Exiled From Hyperborea
    Aye. I've just been reading a couple of Ned's answers in other threads. Very informative.

Thanks both for very quick responses.

Just to clarify: If I'm using an Olympus mu-43 lens, it doesn't matter what the focal length setting says? I expected it to be blank or 'Auto' or some such.