EPL1 - IR Staten Island

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Swandy, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    IR Converted EPL1 with 9-18 lens. (Love this combo.)
    Comments Welcome,
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Very other worldly!! It certainly worked out well for you, didn't it?

It would be kind of interesting to see these same shots without the conversion...if you felt like it.

3. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words.
    You have two options - carry two bodies (like I do) and take the same shots. If I was going somewhere new, I would certainly do this. But I have spent many hours in these areas over the years, so I sent more time with the new converted body.
    Another option is a full spectrum conversion, which allows all light spectrums through to the sensor. But then you need to carry different filters to control what light gets through. You even need a filter to shoot normal spectrum.
    Since I was mainly interested in just IR for this body and wanted to be able to use all the lenses I already had for the m4/3 bodies and I did not want to go with all the different filters, I chose this conversion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Steve these are very good - is that the 720 nm conversion?

5. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Bill. Yeah, it was the 720 nm. I wanted the ability to do the "normal" B&W IR shots and to play with the faux colors also.

6. Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Great images, great post processing!

7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Interesting images, can you tell us more about the conversion? Which did you use, how long did it take and how much does it cost? What other body are you using for non IR?

8. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Mark. You (and Bill Turner from Florida) were my inspiration to finally get one done. SO much easier than using my Hoya filters!!!
    Steve

9. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Lisa. Thanks for the comment.
    (1) The conversion was done by Spencer Camera in Utah Spencer's Camera - Digital Camera Infrared IR Conversions, Modifications & IR Photography - Home. Their work is great, very happy.
    (2) It cost $325 including return shipping. It took almost 3 weeks there and back, but about 5 days of that was caused by a "problem" at Spencer's local post office. (They held the package by mistake.)
    (3) The conversion I did was the 720 nm IR Filter. This allows you to shoot IR without needing any additional filters on the lenses. Bill Turner (over at 4-3 Photo) suggested to shoot RAW+JPEG and set the camera to Monochrome. This works for me because the view you see on the LCD is the "normal" B&W IR look. But you have the RAW files that have the color info if you wish to do the faux color shots. There is also the option of what is called a Full Spectrum conversion. Basically there is NO filter installed (after they take out the no-pass IR filter that is there to begin with). This allows you to control with external filters what type of image you get. You can even shoot normal color - albeit with a filter. I opted for the conversion I did so that I could use all the lenses I have for the m4/3 cameras without needing filters to fit them all.
    (4) The other m4/3 body I have is the EP2. That is my "normal" camera. I converted the EPL1 because I figure that I will not very often upgrade the converted camera, but the EP2 will be replaced when I like something better.
    Hope that answered your questions,
    Steve

10. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Thanks Steve, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I am considering converting my EPL1, I have an EP2 and GF1 as well. I think EPL1 would be a great candidate for this. Do you have a link to more of your images?

11. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Well Lisa - since you asked:
    Steve Wandy's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

There is only two addition IR images in the IR Gallery - my first attempt at PP with the EPL1. But hopefully I will be adding more.
    Steve