EPL1 - IR Staten Island - Set 2

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Swandy, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I am really enjoying using the IR converted EPL1 and PP the RAW files from it.
    Comments welcome,
    Steve

• Like Like x 4
  2. JayCee

JayCee New to Mu-43

Aug 18, 2010
    Strathaven. Scotland
    I don't understand peoples attraction to IR...to me it's just so unnatural looking.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

3. Swandy

Dec 15, 2009
    That's fine with me. But one question - why do photographs have to be "natural" looking? I am not claiming that my shots are "fine art", but I have seen many beautiful photographs and paintings that were not "natural" looking either in their coloring or lighting but I could still be "attracted" to them.
    Steve

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I enjoy this different view of things, I also like super saturated HDRs and extreme wide angle lenses. I always appreciate something a little different.

5. Swandy

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Lisa and I totally agree.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I like the IR and find these interesting, but I really prefer the B&W IR look. It makes green vegetation look somewhat fake, but it adds such stunning tones and contrast that it sort of adds to what I already love about B&W. But the color ones are always interesting too just because they make you really LOOK.

-Ray

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm an IR fan but also prefer the monotone look.

8. Swandy

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill and Ray,
    Thanks for commenting.
    And I agree that my initial attraction to IR shots (years ago) was the "traditional" B&W look, but as Ray said, there is something about the faux color versions that attracts your eye to them.
    Steve

9. remnant

remnant Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    I think these photos look great! You said "converted IR", so are you saying that the camera has been especially modified to accentuate the IR effect or are you using an IR filter on the lens? Does this modification render the camera useless except for IR work? How do you achieve the unusual colors; thru post processing? Has anyone done any IR photos that look like Kodak's Color IR Ektachrome?

10. Swandy

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, the camera was modified to shoot IR by removing the no-pass filter that is put into all digital cameras. In my case the filter is replaced by a 720 nm filter which allows only IR frequency light. You can get what is called a "full spectrum" conversion, where the no-pass filter is replaced by clear filter. Then you control the light that gets to the sensor by different filters put on the lenses. So you can put on a filter (the equivalent of the original no-pass filter) on the lens to allow for "normal" shooting. So yes, otherwise the camera is "useless" with regards to non-IR shooting.
    The faux colors are done by shooting in RAW and doing a Channel Swap of the Red and Blue channels in PS and playing with the various hues.
    Not sure about anyone doing something that looks similar to the Kodak film.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Very cool pics. Good job!

12. Swandy

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Blair for the compliment.

13. vulcan2912

vulcan2912 New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2010
    Hi Steve

Quite like the composition on the 3rd picture.Not keen on the processing though.I've taken thousands of ir pics over the years with converted DSLR's and my preference was to always make the foliage as white as possible,even on colour pics.

Cheers
    Gary

• Like Like x 2
  14. Swandy

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Gary for the comments. I am very new at this type of photography and certainly at the post processing, especially the faux color shots. But I appreciate the advice to watch the foliage in the future.