EPL1 - IR Staten Island - Set 2

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
I am really enjoying using the IR converted EPL1 and PP the RAW files from it.
Comments welcome,
Steve

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't understand peoples attraction to IR...to me it's just so unnatural looking.
Just my 2 cents worth.
That's fine with me. But one question - why do photographs have to be "natural" looking? I am not claiming that my shots are "fine art", but I have seen many beautiful photographs and paintings that were not "natural" looking either in their coloring or lighting but I could still be "attracted" to them.
Steve

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I enjoy this different view of things, I also like super saturated HDRs and extreme wide angle lenses. I always appreciate something a little different.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I like the IR and find these interesting, but I really prefer the B&W IR look. It makes green vegetation look somewhat fake, but it adds such stunning tones and contrast that it sort of adds to what I already love about B&W. But the color ones are always interesting too just because they make you really LOOK.

-Ray

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi Bill and Ray,
Thanks for commenting.
And I agree that my initial attraction to IR shots (years ago) was the "traditional" B&W look, but as Ray said, there is something about the faux color versions that attracts your eye to them.
Steve

remnant

Mu-43 Rookie
I think these photos look great! You said "converted IR", so are you saying that the camera has been especially modified to accentuate the IR effect or are you using an IR filter on the lens? Does this modification render the camera useless except for IR work? How do you achieve the unusual colors; thru post processing? Has anyone done any IR photos that look like Kodak's Color IR Ektachrome?

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
I think these photos look great! You said "converted IR", so are you saying that the camera has been especially modified to accentuate the IR effect or are you using an IR filter on the lens? Does this modification render the camera useless except for IR work? How do you achieve the unusual colors; thru post processing? Has anyone done any IR photos that look like Kodak's Color IR Ektachrome?
Yes, the camera was modified to shoot IR by removing the no-pass filter that is put into all digital cameras. In my case the filter is replaced by a 720 nm filter which allows only IR frequency light. You can get what is called a "full spectrum" conversion, where the no-pass filter is replaced by clear filter. Then you control the light that gets to the sensor by different filters put on the lenses. So you can put on a filter (the equivalent of the original no-pass filter) on the lens to allow for "normal" shooting. So yes, otherwise the camera is "useless" with regards to non-IR shooting.
The faux colors are done by shooting in RAW and doing a Channel Swap of the Red and Blue channels in PS and playing with the various hues.
Not sure about anyone doing something that looks similar to the Kodak film.

vulcan2912

New to Mu-43
Hi Steve

Quite like the composition on the 3rd picture.Not keen on the processing though.I've taken thousands of ir pics over the years with converted DSLR's and my preference was to always make the foliage as white as possible,even on colour pics.

Cheers
Gary

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks Gary for the comments. I am very new at this type of photography and certainly at the post processing, especially the faux color shots. But I appreciate the advice to watch the foliage in the future.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom