1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL1 cropping capacity!

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Midnight, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Midnight

Midnight New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2011
    Prior to owning this camera, I owned a 6 MP point and shoot, and I could I could crop maybe 20 percent of a photo, and it would still look sharp.

But with the following image of trees in front of a river, I had to crop 40 percent of the image, and it still remained sharp, at least to my eyes. resized_lily_and_resized_trees_002.

2. Midnight

Midnight New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2011
    Weird. On my computer screen, in My Pictures, it looked sharp, and in the print I did it looked sharp.

But on MU-43 it doesn't look as sharp.

Oh well. I guess the print of the photo is the most important.

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    it's the mu-43 galleries (and a lot of other online gallieres) get re-scaled and the compression quality gets re-jigged when rendered... It's not that they're not sharp anymore it's usually the compression quality gets turned down half the time and the scaling algorithm isn't the best... usually if you download them at full / original size again it'll look fine once downloaded.

If you find an online photo hoster that's good just link the photos from there instead of uploading locally and it should be better.

4. patcam

patcam New to Mu-43

Aug 22, 2011
    I don't understand what cropping ability has to do with sharpness. When you crop your photo you don't affect the sharpness, only the size of the photo.

5. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    well I think he's using the term cropping a little loosely. I think we're talking about crop & scale here.

If you scale down an image... say for rendering on a computer screen, then you do start to lose sharpness as you crop.