EPL1 - cannot change shutter speed in M mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by number17, Mar 8, 2011.

1. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Hi all,

Not sure if I'm missing something, but every now and then I find that I cannot change the shutter speed in M mode on the E-PL1 ... I push "up" to get to the bottom menu which supposedly let me change the aperture and shutter, but while I can always change the aperture, sometimes I can't change the shutter speed. Pressing up and down changes nothing. Read through the manual but can't find anything.

I can always change shutter speed in S mode though.

Has it happened to any of you?

And I've turned on Bracketing ... not sure if that does anything? It seems like I got a better chance of changing shutter speed if I turn off bracketing, but the manual doesn't seem to mention why bracketing would disable shutter speed change ...

Any clue?

2. saxshooter

saxshooter Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2011
    on my EPL-1, pressing the up arrow activates changing the shutter speed and aperture (the numbers turn green). Once this happens, up and down changes the shutter speed and left to right changes the aperture. this doesn't happen for you?

i have the display mode set to show aperture and shutter speed at all times (numbers turn back to white after i finish adjusting it)
  3. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    I can get to that menu, but at times pressing up and down doesn't change the shutter speed ... sometimes it works, sometimes it's "locked" at a certain speed ... pressing up and down doesn't do anything.

I'd have to go to S mode in that case if I really want to change the shutter speed ...
  4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    If you have the exposure bracketing on, PEN lets you decide the shutter speed only for the first shot of the following three. That is the idea of bracketing. So if you have 1 EV BKT on and you choose 1/100 sec, the next two shots will automatically be exposed 1/200 and 1/50 sec. It's as simple as that. The bracketing will be turned on until you go to the menu and turn it off. In S mode the bracketing will be made by changing the aperture value and in A mode by changing the shutter speed.
  5. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    I have had this happen to me as well. I would have to go into S and change it, then go back into M and it would let me change it again.
  6. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    I see ... thanks for the explanation. So it is bracketing that is preventing me from changing the shutter speed.

Which leads me to another question ... how does bracketing work on the E-PL1? I was initially under the impression that, with bracketing turned on, when you press shutter once, it would take 3 photos simultaneously. But then I realize instead of 3 photos I only have 1 photo when I press the shutter once.

Then I figure ok, maybe I need to hold the shutter button ... but when I do that, I realize the camera just takes as many photos as long as I hold down the shutter button ... plus, i don't realize a difference in the photos I take neither ... I don't think bracketing is working.

So the way you explained to me kindda make sense now ... still, I don't know if it's a very useful feature. Personally I'd think if it takes 3 photos everytime you press shutter with bracketing turned on would make it more useful ... but maybe that's just me.
  7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Only the ISO bracketing will give you three photos by one press. At least E-P1 can do the bracketing in burst mode, so that the first is the one set manually, the second under exposed and the third over exposed. And that way it only takes three captures no matter how long you keep the shutter release pressed. One thing to pay attention to is the BKT icon on the bottom left side of the live view screen. When it is white you can change the values and when it is green it means the bracketing is in progress.
  8. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Ahh I see. Thanks a lot! Olympus should hire you to write manual for them ... the EPL1 manual is a bit of a joke.

I think bracketing for EV is the one that's useful ... I don't think I ever use ISO bracketing. Thanks a lot anyways!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sugoi

sugoi Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2010
    I almost went insane because of this issue. My friend was trying to do some HDR stuff and turned the bkt on. Thanks!
  10. FloridaPhil

FloridaPhil Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 22, 2012
    Sarasota, FL
    I totally agree. The manual is not very helpful.

Get the Dummies Guide. It kept me sane!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    Seconded on the Dummies Guide...