EPL1 Can Adjust Shutter speed for Light Writing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by raysonesquejo, Oct 14, 2010.

1. raysonesquejo

raysonesquejo New to Mu-43

Oct 12, 2010
    Hi I was orignally set one purchasing a NEX 3 however the lack of a evf and the look with the lens on kinda is drawing me away. No I'm on to deciding between a EP1 and E-PL1. The flash does sound very useful on the PL1 but i read that the build on the ep1 is more solid. I'm a real novice at coming into the platform (coming from a point and shoot) but I was wondering does the EPL1 and or the EP1 have a manual setting to slow down shutter speed enough for light writing?

thanks in advance!

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Light writing, I'm assuming you mean like Pablo did. I believe but not sure that the EP1 has a Bulb setting. That is what you really need in order to take your time writing...

3. feppe

feppe Mu-43 Regular

E-PL1 does up to 60 second exposures, and also has Bulb, which keeps the shutter open as long as you keep the release pressed down. Unfortunately it doesn't support remote releases, so you'll have to resort to low-tech solutions with Bulb, such as using the lens cap as a shutter to avoid camera shake.

E-PL1 is built very solidly, and it survived a motorcycle crash better than my wrist (now fully healed, thanks).

4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    the e-p1 also does up to 60 seconds and has bulb but also support remote shutters (cabled only, not IR).

5. raziyahya

raziyahya Mu-43 Rookie

well, for e-pl1... u can put it on a tripod. set it to bulb then use the anti shake function as a timer. the anti shake does work as a timer though doesn't have the lights flashing as the self timer.

6. feppe

feppe Mu-43 Regular

What does that mean?