1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Epl1 battery problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Adresaba, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Adresaba

Adresaba Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2012
    I just recieved 2 non original batterys from ebay seller and i have fully charged it and put it in my Epl1. It seemed like little bit harder to put it inside and now it wont come out. I didnt pushed it too hard inside the camera but now i cant get it out and also it doesnt work at all. I bought it here Battery for Olympus BLS-1 PS-BLS1 E-P1 E-P2 E-PL1 E400 E410 E420 E450 E600 E620 | eBay

Now I dont know how to make it come out so please help if you have any idea. I use my camera almost every day so i am missing it now :crying:

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Can you describe in more detail what is stuck? Are you able to move the little battery retention tab? When you do that, does the battery not pop up? How about if you hold the camera upside down when you move the retention tab?

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Unfortunately most third-party batteries don't have thermal protection while charging which causes the plastic casing to swell, and gets stuck in the camera.

4. Adresaba

Adresaba Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2012
    I can move that battery retention tab but battery does not pop up and also when I turn the camera upside down it stays inside. Seems like it is bigger than it should be.

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Hmmm...sounds like Mikefellh might be onto something:

I assume you're tried sort of jostling the camera while holding it upside down and pulling back the retention tab to see if you can shake the battery loose?

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of clearance to get anything in there to try to pry the battery out, but I think that's probably the next thing I'd attempt.

I've got a non-OEM battery for my E-PL1, but it's one I purchased from B&H -- it's a "Pearstone", I believe, which is sort of their "house" brand. I haven't had any trouble with that battery at all.

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    This, of course, would be a last ditch effort and only if you are determined not to send the camera in for service. (I have a local camera shop which can work wonders, although sometimes one does have to put up with snarky remarks from the staff after they bail one out of trouble :redface:).

If you cannot get tweezers to grip the battery, and you have gently, ever so gently jostled the camera to try to shake the battery loose, I would place a DROP (very, very carefully) of crazy glue on a lever and glue it to the battery. Once the glue had dried I would then pull the battery out. You would want the lever bent at a 90 degree angle, so as to have a flat surface attach to the battery and still allow a "handle" to pull.

Something along the lines of an Allen wrench might be perfect - they have flat edges, already have a 90 bend, and are strong, and come in varying widths so that one may find one that fits the purpose admirably.

Again - this would be a last ditch attempt, and I'm not recommending that you try it. The real danger is that the glue would spread down the side of the battery before drying and permanently attach the battery to the camera body. By applying glue to only the Allen wrench, not to the battery, you lessen the chance of the glue wandering into places best left alone. And there's no guarantee that crazy glue will adhere to both the battery and the Allen wrench.

I have a third party battery, purchased on Amazon. It is the "MaximalPower" BLS1 battery, 7.4 v 1800Ah, and I've had no issues with it.

Good luck!

Jim

7. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I would get some of that double sided foam tape. Attach one side to the battery and the other side to anything you can pull on (even the edge of the other battery).

8. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim

Good idea - I don't know if it's as strong as glue, but certainly reduces the chances of making a paperweight out of the camera should the glue spread into unexpected areas.

:thumbup:

Jim

9. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Thinking about it some more - I'm sure there are some really strong versions of that foam tape that are used to attach emblems onto cars. I think 3M is one of the brands. I think that even the regular stuff should have just enough "stick" to work though. Fingers crossed!

10. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Superglue a screw to the battery by its head. Let it dry then pull. The screw will give you plenty of grip.

11. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Try a strip of Velcro that should do it

12. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Another thing to try is to stick the whole camera in a Ziplock Freezer or Hefty Freezer bag and stick it in the freezer for couple of hours. The plastic on the battery might contract and then use a small needle nose plyer to pry the battery out of the camera.

13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I guess it's worth a shot, but I'm not too confident that will help. Not only the battery, but also the camera itself (as well as the space between the battery and camera) will contract, which might actually make it more difficult to remove. I would say that you would have to take the temperature in the opposite direction.

I'm not going to be held responsible for any damage that occurs when you put your camera in the microwave, though. :wink:

14. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    If you do freeze your camera, be very careful about the conditions in which you open the bag. If you remove it from its freezer bag whilst still cold, any humidity in the air will condense, on both the outside and the inside of your camera.

15. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I've had the same problem with batteries on my EPL1. The shoulders of the case were too wide on two batteries, and a third one was too thick in the middle. Only the last one got stuck. I levered it out slowly and carefully with a flat bladed jeweler's screwdriver.

That's the trouble with cheap batteries. No regard for dimensional specifications.

16. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Sorry for not offering any new tips about this problem, but reading it makes me relieve that those expensive Oly and Pany original battery I bought does pay off. I never encounter any similar problem with my camera as I haven't use any 3rd party battery. There is however several encounter with my mobile phone that the 3rd party battery slowly expanded and swollen due to the heat. Some unlucky folks also experiencing their mobile phone burst or explode because of it. Let's hope there won't be any accident happen with mu-43 user, always pay attention with your 3rd party battery condition.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I picked up a couple off Amazon.
    2 batteries, 1450 mAh,+charger.
    I forget what I paid ($27 ?)
    They are from, don't laugh now, Wasabi Power.
    They had really good reviews, and they do work great.
    As far as your problem, I would go with the double sided foam tape, but I would put strong nylon thread, like maybe fly fishing leader, under the foam.
    this way you have enough surface hold from the tape, while still getting enough tension strength to remove the battery.

18. Adresaba

Adresaba Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2012
    Finally I make it go out with scalpel and contact seller to send to me another one. The other battery that I bought works very well. Thanks for advices and just to say that if I will be buying battery again that would be cheap, non original again :) . Price of the original one is way too much, i dont wanna pay 60-70 bucks for something that had been made for 5$. But thats me.

19. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Glad you got it out. I'd have recommended the scalpel for the surgery but I don't have a lot of scalpels around here, so it never occurred to me :biggrin:.

As noted, the third party battery I bought for my E-PL1 has not given my any problems (which is not to say it won't turn around and bite me, it's just that it hasn't yet).

Thanks for letting us know how you resolved the problem.

Regards,

Jim

20. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Ditto, very glad. One thing, maybe there's a distinction to be made between any old 3rd party battery and one made by a more reputable brand. For example when I had a GH1 I bought a spare battery that was made by Energizer. For my E-P1 I had a spare made by Hama. Both brands I'm familiar with and, to some extent, trust. I wouldn't really consider putting an unknown brand into a relatively expensive camera just to save a few bucks (or pounds in my case!)