1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EPL1 bargains...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JohnF, May 24, 2012.

1. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    While the EM5 is getting all the coverage, it seems, and rightfully so, the EPL1 is quietly being sold off and is an amazing bargain. I just bought one on German eBay (where I live) for €160, body w/o lens, but new in box and with full warranty. I've seen them in the US on eBay buy-it-now for $150, same deal.

Impossible to beat at that price. Hat tip to Kirk Tuck for that addition to my equipment...

2. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Ya, I've seen some deals on it and it is still just as good a deal as ever. I want an E-M5, obviously, but the E-PL1 takes pics just as good as any other Oly camera out there for a fraction of the price.

3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Plus a well kept secret is the E-PL1 resolves more detail than the E-M5 (in bright light shooting conditions):
    em5vsepl1-1.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    I'm looking at this model to be my entry into :43:. Just doing the research at this time. It's starting to get a little confusing!

5. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I would not get any camera other than the E-PL1 or the E-M5 right now (unless you can find another model at around this price).

The price difference is really big, so that should probably be what you base your decision on. The E-M5 is a very substantially better camera though.

6. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i just got one of the deal e-pl1s for $149 - no lens, but i have a bunch. it's definitely not bad for those on a budget or as a second camera. i found it a little more fiddly to use than my gf1, but still a nice camera capable of taking good pics.

7. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Major bargains around. I got one from Germany last week with the 14-150mm lens for €399.

OK, that sounds like a lot but I bought it for the lens - amazingly it was the cheapest way I could find of getting that zoom (new with warranty etc) by quite a margin. And effectively I got a free camera too!

It's really quite decent - and with one of the faster focusing lenses it performs far better than I was expecting. The bounce-able flash is nice too.

8. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Interesting take. I'm sure many will disagree with you, but I suppose if I were a first time buyer I would probably be thinking the same way. To me, the newer PENs don't offer enough to justify not getting an E-PL1 at current prices when you figure you could put what you'd save into lenses

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I bought one of the factory reconditioned E-PL1 kits from Cameta for $199.95 and so far really like the camera. I have both the 14-42mm and 42-150mm kit lenses.

There are a few areas where I don't like it. For instance it does not do well in low light conditions. It has a very hard time auto focusing and sometimes gets the exposure wrong. Of coarse this is with the kit lenses, I am sure it is better with a faster lens. The images tend to have a fair amount of noise at high ISO{better than a P&S but no where as good as my Nikon D5000}.

It is very hard to manual focus in low light because of the high noise in the LCD and VF2 viewfinder. I don't care for some of the button placements, for instance I turned the video record button off completely because it is so easy to accidentally touch. I sometimes activate the flash button because it is too close to the edge{I have big fingers however}. The full manual controls are tricky to use as well, but better than some.

This is a great camera for someone who is moving up from a P&S! Also great as a second body or for the times when you don't want to have to mess with bigger and more complicated cameras.

10. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    As a person who's looking to buy in to this format, this is a deal that's really hard to pass up. There's a few things that I'm concerned about.

Heck, my first dslr was an Olympus 410, so I guess I can learn to dive into the menus as well.

11. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Got mine as a kit with the 14-42 Mk I for $200 last Christmas and considered that a really good deal.

12. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Ask away!

For the money it's a great buy and a nice inexpensive introduction to m43. If and when you decide to go for something newer you'll still have this camera body to take places where you mightn't want to take something expensive like the OMD. At least that's the way I'm looking at it.

13. JIA333

JIA333 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    The Caribbean
    Yeidy
    I purchased one brand new on Ebay for $148. I am stocked.

14. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I am considering purchasing one to mod for Ir photography.

15. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    the E-PL1?

meh, it's okay I guess.....

16. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Same lens shooting Raw?

17. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    Cameta is now offering the EPL1 w/kit lens for $189. I could no longer pass this deal up. I finally ordered one!!!

18. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I bought mine in Feb for $300 and thought it was a good deal but this flooding the market and lowering prices is not a good thing for us who might want to sell it and move up. How about if they drop the EM price by 50% before Christmas? We all know we will lose some money from buying anything new but when the market is being manipulated ,it pisses me off.

19. scamper

scamper Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Getting more people into the m4/3 ecosystem seems like a win to me.

20. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    I'm glad that in Feb. I wasn't really interested in :43: camera system, otherwise I might feel the same as you. If it makes you feel better this is not a "new" camera it's a "refurbished" unit. Heck, I may not even care for the "new to me" system and end up selling it and probably get most of my money back.

Anyways, I thought it was a deal that I couldn't pass on any longer.:2thumbs: