1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL1 - Aperture Priority (A) w/Legacy Lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by s0nus, Feb 22, 2011.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I just picked up my first manual legacy lens, and I'm having a bit of a problem with metering and the camera selecting an appropriate shutter speed when in Aperture Priority Mode.

It seems that with exposure compensation at 0, the camera will only automatically set the shutter speed up to 1/1.3". As I step down the aperture on the lens manually, the shutter speed indicator begins to blink, indicating that the image will be underexposed, but it will not automatically increase the length of the exposure. I can get past this by upping the exposure compensation, or by simply setting the exposure manually. However, I would like to take advantage of the camera's automatic metering capabilities.

Any ideas on why this is? :confused:

2. So did you want a shutter speed longer than that? I think that as apertures get smaller on legacy lenses (f16, f22, ...) it becomes harder for the camera to meter accurately.

3. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Yes, exactly, I want the camera to increase the length of exposure as I decrease the size of the aperature. Unfortunatley, it seems to only go to 1/1.3 seconds, as I originally described.

I checked the manual and wasn't able to find anything helpful, other than a description of what the blinking exposure indicator means.

I'm beginning to think that you're right Luckypenguin; at small aperatures, there is simply not enough light to accurately meter.

I just had an idea that I'll try when I get home: maybe if I set to center spot metering it would be more usable?