EPL1 – remote release questions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Leedsgreen, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Leedsgreen

Leedsgreen Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010
    Dear All,

I have been trying to decide between a GF1 and EPL1 for quite a while and am close to choosing the EPL1. However, the one function that the GF1 does have that I would dearly like is the option to use a remote shutter release. With this in mind, I have done some digging around on the web (including this form) to see what I could find for the EPL1 and have a few questions:

1. First of all, if I am correct, whilst the EPL1 does offer a timer function, this can only be set to take ONE picture after 2 or 10s. It isn’t possible to set the timer and then for the camera to take a burst of shots (say 10). Is this correct?

2. It appears that Olympus has disabled the remote shutter release port on the EPL1 and NO firmware hack can re-activate it (i.e. it is a hardware issue). Is this correct?

3. However, I also read about a ‘generic shutter release arm’ manufactured by EagleEye (the 8th product down in this list):

EagleEye OpticZooms

Has anyone tried this option with a shutter release cable? Does it work satisfactorily?

4. I also read that Jessops offer a similar device but have been unable to find one on their web-site and when I asked a sales-person today he just gave me a funny look!

5. I also read about these options at Gadget Infinity for the Lumix DMC-LX3 and Sigma DP1/2 (6th & 7th products in this list):

Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Shutter Release Cable

However, when I wrote to Gadget Infinity (and Richard Franeic who also lists them: Richard Franiec's Camera Accessories) they said that as yet, they weren’t being made for the EPL1 because there wasn’t currently demand. If you want one, please ask!

Finally, if anyone has any other ideas that I have missed, please could you share them? I would really like to buy the EPL1 but a remote shutter release option is the deal-breaker at the moment. (The reason is that I wish to attach the camera to my refractor telescope to take multiple pictures of moon and DSOs. Without remote shutter release, I will have use single timer-shots, which will be time consuming and risk camera shake. Also, I prefer the EPL1 over the EP1 due to the flash and ability to add the view-finder, as well as it being considerably cheaper than the EP2).

Thanks very much for any help/advice,

Nick

• Like Like x 2
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I believe everything you said about the remote shutter release is true - not gonna happen. I hadn't thought of some of those mechanical options - I would think that first option (your link isn't to the right spot by the way - likely that website though as it is rather dated!) might work quite well - there are some on ebay from other makers too, search mechanical shutter release (some camera-specific ones that should work fine on the e-pl1 as well).

It certainly is a rather puzzling omission on olympus' part - I can understand dumbing down the camera abit, but that is probably the one thing that really irks me about the camera (1/2000 I can live with!). Anyway, you may be the pioneer on this one, so good luck in your quest!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Leedsgreen

Leedsgreen Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Nick, thanks for your planned follow up, I knew this had been discussed before a bit, but just couldn't remember where.

When you have a chance stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum, for the official "welcome". Glad to have you here.:thumbup:

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That looked like the best one to me as well (maybe because they had the best product shots!). I am thinking about buying one, and modifying the arm portion to have 3 arms coming off the pole part - the one they have on there already for the shutter mechanism, then a top and bottom pole that can act as clamps on the top and bottom panels of the camera, which would then eliminate the need to use the tripod screw. It would also be easier to attach and release that way. If I ever find the time that might be a fun project!

6. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
  7. Leedsgreen

Leedsgreen Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010
    Would be interesting to see that work Pxpaulx!

Will let you know how the system works when it arrives.

Cheers,

Nick

8. ilscfn

ilscfn New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2010
    any update?

Nick,

very interested to hear your results with that ebay purchase! thanks

-ils

9. Leedsgreen

Leedsgreen Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010
    Dear All,

My eBay purchase finally arrived but I have to say, overall, I'm not too impressed with the mechanism. Yes, with quite a bit of findling it does work but:

1. It takes quite a bit of time to attach and set up.

2. When the mechanism reaches enough 'tension' to push the shoot button, my sense was that the camera was inclined to move a little, leading to the odd blurred shot.

One thing to note is that the test was carried out on my Canon a710is powershot, so things might work differently on an EPL1 (i.e. I wanted to test it out before committing to an EPL1). I've no doubt that with a little patience, the mechanism will work well enough but it's clearly not as useful as a proper remote cable.

I hope this is some help. The main thing is that it will work but, overall, it just felt a little clumsy!

Nick

• Like Like x 2
  10. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
  11. Leedsgreen

Leedsgreen Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010
    Julienlr,

No, not the version I bought. However, I'm sure you could buy another release cable that does lock and use that with the mechanism instead.

Nick

12. BartonFlyer

BartonFlyer Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Bolton, UK
    watching the video on the ebay link, it looks to me as though the camera moves every time the button is pressed? It surely would be better if the cable were to be vertically positioned over the shutter button?

13. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I think I will make my own so it is 1- perfectly aligned and 2- uses a locking cable. I think I smell another DIY project blog! :p

14. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    Very interesting, I have that cable release from my film cameras ! They didn't have remotes long time ago :). Good idea, but cumbersome indeed for implementing in digital cameras. Anyway, one can always set anti-shake timer on the E-PL1 to 2 seconds or more to fire only after the camera stopped shaking.

15. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Madlights

Madlights  

Feb 20, 2011
    Wisconsin, USA
    Hello all:
    I don't understand Olympus's decision in this one. I'd think if they wanted to, a firmware release could provide a bit of a workaround, even if not wired for it. They could enable 'bulb' triggering via the timer, and closing the shutter via pushing the shutter button when the exposure was done. At least a person wouldn't have to sit with their finger on the button for a long exposure... Until then I'm going to try and make something myself :)

17. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    If one was being cynical one might think that Olympus left off an easily implemenateble feature so they could put in their next model to make that model a more tempting upgrade for existing users.

18. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA