1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL-7 or EPL-8? what is the differences?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kiwirobfinland, Oct 16, 2016.

1. kiwirobfinland

kiwirobfinland Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    rob
    My wife is thinking of getting a new camera to replace her EPM-1.
    The epl-7 or epl-8 the most likely choice.
    I can not see much differences between the two did i miss something?
    She is mainly looking for a step up in IQ, faster opting and build in WIFI.
    How does the IQ of the epl7-epl8 stack up against the em5 -em1? Is it the same or better?

2. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-pl8 is prettier and has in camera raw processing and some improved selfie modes. But it is the same internal hardware.

4. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    They look different. Does she care about the camera as a fashion statement? If so, how much is that worth to her?

If not, just get the cheaper one. :) IQ should be comparable to the E-M5 and E-M1 (similar sensor quality and jpeg processing, if she shoots jpeg). The advantages of the OM-Ds is the built-in viewfinder, better in-body stabilization (though the EPL7 and EPL8 are decent in this regards), better ergonomics, and faster focusing.

If she's happy with the E-PM1 and just wants better image quality, either of the E-PL cameras will do the trick. If she wants those other features, than she might want to look at an E-M10.

5. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    If that's the case buy a used e-pm2 and get the same sensor as the pl and e-m5 (and mkii) for that better image quality. The PL7or8 does have more control points and the tilting screen.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Same IQ, but if you look hard enough you can get an e-pL8 in brown,
    which is a good thing for the retro-handbag crowd.
    I got a black e-pL7 and have no hankering for a black e-pL8.
    Brown's where its at.
    (Don't buy a used e-pm2 'cos it doesn't have the good stabilisation.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You might also consider a Panasonic GM1 as an excellent upgrade.

8. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    The e-pl8 only has a 3-axis system too, does the pl7 have the 5-axis?

Edit:
    Nope, all three are 3-axis

9. TVAkevin

TVAkevin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Winfield, IL
    Kevin
    That said, I find the 3 axis more than sufficient on the E-PL7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    On further investigation the e-pm2 has only a 2-axis system, that would explain your findings.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Stabilization on the PL7, and I assume on the PL8 is much improved pver the E-PM2 and it has 0 sec antishock, which all but eliminates shutter shock. To be honest, I really don't find the PL8 nicer looking at all. JMHO.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The E-PL7 has the advantage of a much better grip - I actually prefer it over the standard grip of the E-M10 because it makes handling the 12-40mm (which is my benchmark lens for handling issues) possible without any major problem, whereas I had to add the ECG-1 to the E-M10 for admittedly an even better experience.

The E-PL8 is more reminiscent of the E-PM1, however - with all the disadvantages that entails, but also a kind of simple elegance that might appeal (not to me, to be honest - even though I really loved the simplicity of the E-PM1). I know what Olympus is at (it's a camera vor the VLOG crowd), but for me, they shot down a very convincing product by only adding (minor) downgrades for the sake of looks.

btw. The E-PL7 does offer in-camera RAW processing as well - though it's possible that the E-PL8 has some enhancements in that respect, but I doubt it.

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'll quote myself and explain ;
    The axis numbers are a red-herring for marketing purposes, but unfortunately 95% of forumites fall for it.
    Good stabilisation was introduced with the E-M5 and is included in the e-pL7 and many others.
    In my experience 5-axis and 3-axis can be equally effective depending on the exact camera model,
    but 5 is bigger than 3 ... as a number.
    Hearsay suggests the best current stabilisation is in the E-M5MkII so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Another difference that no-one has mentioned is that if, like me, you like all-black cameras, then you'll like the E-PL7 and won't like the E-PL8, which is only available in black-and-silver.

15. Sarky Git

Sarky Git Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 6, 2016
    The E-PL8 has live bulb and live composite. The E-PL7 does not.

16. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
  17. Sarky Git

Sarky Git Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 6, 2016
    I sit corrected. I'm sure some of the new sites said it was new to the E-PL but I can't find it now. Maybe I need to reboot my brain.

18. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    No worries...my daughter has used both on her E-PL7 however I thought it best to link to the Olympus product feature page. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the E-PL7 & E-PL8 are effectively the same.

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The first customer to come 'round my house with a brown e-pL8 gets to swap it for my all-black e-pL7 plus a bottle of whisky.

Deal?

20. Sarky Git

Sarky Git Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 6, 2016
    I've been tempted to pick up an Olympus body to get access to live bulb/compo and E-PL7 prices are going to drop when the 8 hits the streets. This is just going to make my GAS worse.