EPL-7 or EPL-8? what is the differences?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kiwirobfinland, Oct 16, 2016.

1. kiwirobfinland

kiwirobfinland Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    rob
    My wife is thinking of getting a new camera to replace her EPM-1.
    The epl-7 or epl-8 the most likely choice.
    I can not see much differences between the two did i miss something?
    She is mainly looking for a step up in IQ, faster opting and build in WIFI.
    How does the IQ of the epl7-epl8 stack up against the em5 -em1? Is it the same or better?

2. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

The E-pl8 is prettier and has in camera raw processing and some improved selfie modes. But it is the same internal hardware.

4. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    They look different. Does she care about the camera as a fashion statement? If so, how much is that worth to her?

If not, just get the cheaper one. :)  IQ should be comparable to the E-M5 and E-M1 (similar sensor quality and jpeg processing, if she shoots jpeg). The advantages of the OM-Ds is the built-in viewfinder, better in-body stabilization (though the EPL7 and EPL8 are decent in this regards), better ergonomics, and faster focusing.

If she's happy with the E-PM1 and just wants better image quality, either of the E-PL cameras will do the trick. If she wants those other features, than she might want to look at an E-M10.

5. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    If that's the case buy a used e-pm2 and get the same sensor as the pl and e-m5 (and mkii) for that better image quality. The PL7or8 does have more control points and the tilting screen.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Same IQ, but if you look hard enough you can get an e-pL8 in brown,
    which is a good thing for the retro-handbag crowd.
    I got a black e-pL7 and have no hankering for a black e-pL8.
    Brown's where its at.
    (Don't buy a used e-pm2 'cos it doesn't have the good stabilisation.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

You might also consider a Panasonic GM1 as an excellent upgrade.

8. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    The e-pl8 only has a 3-axis system too, does the pl7 have the 5-axis?

Edit:
    Nope, all three are 3-axis

9. TVAkevin

TVAkevin Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Winfield, IL
    Kevin
    That said, I find the 3 axis more than sufficient on the E-PL7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    On further investigation the e-pm2 has only a 2-axis system, that would explain your findings.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Stabilization on the PL7, and I assume on the PL8 is much improved pver the E-PM2 and it has 0 sec antishock, which all but eliminates shutter shock. To be honest, I really don't find the PL8 nicer looking at all. JMHO.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The E-PL7 has the advantage of a much better grip - I actually prefer it over the standard grip of the E-M10 because it makes handling the 12-40mm (which is my benchmark lens for handling issues) possible without any major problem, whereas I had to add the ECG-1 to the E-M10 for admittedly an even better experience.

The E-PL8 is more reminiscent of the E-PM1, however - with all the disadvantages that entails, but also a kind of simple elegance that might appeal (not to me, to be honest - even though I really loved the simplicity of the E-PM1). I know what Olympus is at (it's a camera vor the VLOG crowd), but for me, they shot down a very convincing product by only adding (minor) downgrades for the sake of looks.

btw. The E-PL7 does offer in-camera RAW processing as well - though it's possible that the E-PL8 has some enhancements in that respect, but I doubt it.

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'll quote myself and explain ;
    The axis numbers are a red-herring for marketing purposes, but unfortunately 95% of forumites fall for it.
    Good stabilisation was introduced with the E-M5 and is included in the e-pL7 and many others.
    In my experience 5-axis and 3-axis can be equally effective depending on the exact camera model,
    but 5 is bigger than 3 ... as a number.
    Hearsay suggests the best current stabilisation is in the E-M5MkII so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Another difference that no-one has mentioned is that if, like me, you like all-black cameras, then you'll like the E-PL7 and won't like the E-PL8, which is only available in black-and-silver.

15. Sarky Git

Sarky Git Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2016
    The E-PL8 has live bulb and live composite. The E-PL7 does not.

16. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
  17. Sarky Git

Sarky Git Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2016
    I sit corrected. I'm sure some of the new sites said it was new to the E-PL but I can't find it now. Maybe I need to reboot my brain.

18. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    No worries...my daughter has used both on her E-PL7 however I thought it best to link to the Olympus product feature page. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the E-PL7 & E-PL8 are effectively the same.

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The first customer to come 'round my house with a brown e-pL8 gets to swap it for my all-black e-pL7 plus a bottle of whisky.

Deal?

20. Sarky Git

Sarky Git Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2016
    I've been tempted to pick up an Olympus body to get access to live bulb/compo and E-PL7 prices are going to drop when the 8 hits the streets. This is just going to make my GAS worse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.