EPL-7 Compared to EP-5

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Olympus has a great deal on the EP-5 with lens, and VF (refurbished price).
I really like my EPL-7 but this deal seems great, for just the VF-4 and the 17/1.8 lens alone.
Not sure I would like the EP-5 after using the EPL-7? Anyone using both of these cameras for a comparison?
GR

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
I've used both. Had an E-P5 as my primary camera, and borrowed an E-PL7 for about a month. The E-P5 has nicer build, but that means it's a bit heavier. Having two dials transforms it, IMO. The E-P5's stabilizer is usefully better.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
The EPL7's skin tone a bit yellowish and as @MarkRyan said only consist 3 axis compare to EP5 who has 5 axis.

But then EP5 don't have live composite.

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I've used both. Had an E-P5 as my primary camera, and borrowed an E-PL7 for about a month. The E-P5 has nicer build, but that means it's a bit heavier. Having two dials transforms it, IMO. The E-P5's stabilizer is usefully better.
Mark, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
GR

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
The EPL7's skin tone a bit yellowish and as @MarkRyan said only consist 3 axis compare to EP5 who has 5 axis.

But then EP5 don't have live composite.
For me live composite is a great feature, almost a must have for shooting night images. You might have just answered my question. Sounds like the EP5 is a good camera if you don't need live composite. Thanks for pointing that feature out.
GR

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
E-P5 is an under-appreciated camera because when it was released it was expensive and it had a bit of a shutter shock issue. Both of those problems are gone now. The five axis IBIS is very good and the Oly 17 is a great lens.

Last edited:

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
E-P5 is an under-appreciated camera because when it was released it was expensive and it had a bit of a shutter shock issue. Both of those problems are gone now. The five axis IBIS is very good and the Oly 17 is a great lens.
Thanks for your input!
GR

davidzvi

Real Name
David
The E-P5 is probably a better camera, better IBIS, more features, better built, more control points, etc.... But do you need the features? Will you use the extra controls?

I had both an E-M1 mkI and E-P5 a while back, they were both great. But I never used half the features, never did find a use for the 2x2 controller that made sense for the way I shoot. So I sold both and a picked up simpler E-M10 mkI and more glass. For me the E-M10 mkI with the add on grip was better for the way I shoot and what I was looking for at the time.

That said, sure the E-P5 + 17mm f/1.8 is a great combo.

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I notice the EP5's are all gone at the olympus outlet. Did you get anything?
I did not get one at this point in time. The fact that it did not have live composite put me on hold.
GR

Mu-43 Legend
I prefer the size of the EPL7, but for that price, I would have gotten that setup. Probably kept the lens and VF for my EPL7 and sold the body (but not without playing with it first ;)

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I prefer the size of the EPL7, but for that price, I would have gotten that setup. Probably kept the lens and VF for my EPL7 and sold the body (but not without playing with it first ;)
They really aren't that different.
  • E-P5 is 6% (7.4 mm) wider and 3% (1.9 mm) taller than E-PL7.
  • E-P5 is 3% (1.2 mm) thinner than E-PL7.
  • E-P5 [420 g] weights 18% (63 grams) more than E-PL7 [357 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Mu-43 Legend
Based on DPR stats, the EP5 vs EP3:

EP5 is 51g heavier
same length
same height
3mm deeper

As I prefer the EPL7 size to the EP3, then the same likely holds true for the EP5, but the OPs mileage may vary. I was just stating my preference.

Last edited:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
It's amazing how cheap you can get an EP5 body. Olympus had a black refurb for $229. If you can live without an EVF, it has 5 axis IBIS, zero second anti-shake, and is virtually as good for stills as the current mu43 bodies.

Last edited:

davidzvi

Real Name
David
@WT21 they are different. Just pointing out that it's really just width and weight between the E-P5 and E-PL7. I guess it also depends on it you are familiar with the older bodies. All the E-P# are within about millimeter of each other? While the E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PL7, and E-PL8 are all about the same size, many look at the E-PL3, E-PL5, and E-PL6 when they think about the size of the E-PL models. And those were a bit smaller.

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
It's amazing how cheap you can get an EP5 body. Olympus had a black refurb for $229. If you can live without an EVF, it has 5 axis IBIS, zero second anti-shake, and is virtually as good for stills as the current mu43 bodies.
Yes, I thought seriously about getting one but changed my mind after learning it was missing some options I really like.
For the time being, I will just keep shooting my EPL-7. Maybe the next generation OM-D-10iii or EPL-10 will fit the bill, although they certainly will cost much more. :)
GR

Latest threads

Top Bottom