1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL-6 is tempting....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Desert_B, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Currently own Pan G5 and Oly EPL-3 (got that for a low price before Thanksgiving a few years ago). I like the EPL-3 a lot, but the user interface and lack of touch screen have always kept me at arm's length.

I see the EPL-6 is available for just $299. Am I whackadoodle to think that the EPL-6 might be some kind of replacement for my G5 (which has a few quirks and might have a limited life since it's been knocked around a bit)? The G5 has been extremely useful to me because of its tilting touchscreen, and the EPL-6 has that.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I personally prefer the Olympus m43 cameras over the Panasonic's for personal use reasons. I've just not like the interface and handling. For me the Olympus feels more at home.

The EPL6 is a decent camera and if it makes sense to you, then by all means, font let someone like me stop you from spending your money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Thanks gryphon. :) Just wondering if there are some shortcomings/limitations of the EPL6 that I should be aware of.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I personally like the Olympus interface over the Panasonic as well. Especially the user control panel activated. The E-PL6 has a better sensor as compared to the E-PL3.

5. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    Don't know much about the EPL-6 but I just bought the EPL-7 and love it! I also have the Panasonic G6 which fits me like a glove and I enjoy it too. I will say the Olympus has a much faster refresh rate which makes it more usable shooting something with speed to it. For $299 I doubt if you can go wrong! :)
    GR

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The E-PL6 is pretty much the E-PL5 with the addition of an ISO 100 option and wifi. At $299 you're not going to find a better deal in micro four-thirds right now. Question for the OP: Have you used the E-PL3's Super Control Panel? Once you launch that, pretty much most control issues with Olympus cameras go away.

7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    E-PL6 will have a better sensor than the G5, but the big limitation in comparing the two is you lose the EVF. If that doesn't matter to you, at that price it's a steal. Also, the G5 has a flip screen, and I believe the PL6 just has tilt.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just so we don't confuse anyone, the E-PL6 has the same wi-fi features that the E-PL5 does. Meaning it works with the FlashAir cards but is not built in.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    IMO, the EPL7 is a big improvement over the 6 and worth the extra money. Olympus sells them cheap as refurbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    I believe I have activated the super menu. It definitely helps, but I've not invested the time into using the EPL-3 that would get me really comfortable with it. The G5 always calls to me with its flip screen and touch focusing. At the same time, the EPL-3 calls to me with its cool size and shape. It is terrific to have so many choices.

I did end up ordering the EPL-6 with a package that includes the 40-150.

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Maybe sell the EPL3 and keep the G5 as a second body. Both brands have their strengths.

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The E-PL6 suffers from shutter shock so for this reason I'd avoid it. The E-PL7 is a much better camera if you want to spend the extra. The GX7 can be had for a good deal too and that's a step up from the PL6 as well.

13. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Am getting cold feet about the EPL-6. May return it without opening it, so I can do more research and be more sure about what I want. Thank you very much for the info & tips, everyone.

14. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Important differences between EPL-6 and EPL-7?
    TIA.

15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes the E-PL7 has some significant updates, yes money no object it's better. But in the real world it's $150 more for a refurbished camera versus a new in the box camera with the same sensor. Yes some people have noted an issue with shutter shock, many have not.

Personally I'm considering getting an E-PL6 and have no problem recommending one. If you're concerned and have the extra $150 then the E-PL7 is a good option.

16. mw6sense

mw6sense Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    patrick cheung
    Does the E-P5 also suffer from shutter shock as well? I prefer a pen with better image stablization.

17. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It did, before the firmware upgrade to add EFCS - that fixed it.

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Which firmware was that? I did a quick search but couldn't find a specific reference to it like I saw with the E-P5. I would guess if it was added to the E-PL5 than it should be there on the E-PL6 as well.

19. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I don't think the PL6 has WiFi. Was just looking at the Olympus website and it doesn't mention that as built-in. Says it supports Eye-Fi cards, Toshiba wifi card, etc.

Agreed on SCP. That makes it a lot easier to change settings.

20. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The E-PL5 does not have EFCS - my reply was referring to the E-P5.