EPL-5 + Refractor = Moon

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by baumgarten0712, Jun 4, 2013.

1. baumgarten0712

baumgarten0712 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I haven't been on the site much but I thought I would post a somewhat recent image I took of the moon. My EPL5 was mounted on my 100 ED refractor to give me a focal length of 1800 mm. 6 images were stacked together for best results. Cheers! Karl

Final1.

• Like Like x 1
  2. davidolarte

davidolarte Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2013
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Juan Olarte
    Awesome!

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Great moon image, maybe the best I've ever seen! But what is an 100ED Refractor? It sounds like a telescope, and thus what kind of interface do you need to the camera?

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Definitely a telescope of some sort - usually there are t mount adapters that are available for various mounts, I have one for K mount myself though don't use it often.

And agreed with everyone else, that is definitely a great shot!

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Very nice! I wish my reflector had that flat of a field of view.

6. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Wonderful image!

A question about:
    Would that be focus stacking, or HDR?

7. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I'm guessing for noise, you don't really need DOF (it's _almost_ at infinity :) ) and the DR's not out of range...
    Best moon shot I've seen yet...would love to hear more about the rig/see pics!

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

100mm aperture (ED is the type of glass for low dispersion). There are many such beasties like this one. Lots of different interfaces as well - depends on the exact model and other accessories one uses. Most generic would be a MFT-1.25" eyepiece but I prefer a MFT-2" eyepiece. T mount is also quite common. The larger scopes can have 4" mount or a custom even.

One can easily go into the deep end and spend $3000+ on such things but they can also be had in the $500-800 range if one looks diligently. Naturally one can spend much more on a mount to cradle and guide the scope ... so many ways to spend large sums of money in astrophotography.

Oh yeah, that image is way too sharp - I think I cut my eyes! Momma!

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    W. O. W.

Gordon

10. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Very cool.

11. baumgarten0712

baumgarten0712 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks for the comments. My scope is the Skywatcher 100 ED (low dispersion glass) f/9. I purchased a T-mount adapter for my EPL-5. All shots are in M mode and the moon is bright enough for decent shutter speeds. The reason to take a lot of images and stack them is due to atmospheric turbulence, which can cause havoc on sharpness. There is some excellent software out there for stacking images. One key bonus for the micro four thirds is the weight. Seeing that the EPL-5 doesn't weigh much, my telescope has no issues when I am doing astrophotography. Using even an APS-C DSLR, things change a bit, as the weight increases a fair amount. The last thing you want is your camera falling off!