EPL-5 Red faces

TiiminMb

New to Mu-43
I am finding whether I use a flash or use ambiant incandescent lighting, that for indoor pictures the people's faces are excessively red. I've had some success with using white balance to reduce this, but I'm not sure if I'm pursuing the correct adjustment. Any suggestions? I am using mostly P mode with the SCM menu. Should I adjust it out through custom white balance? Does CWB remain stored once I find the preferred values?

iliyanb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Iliyan
It's better to check your monitor first.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Mu-43 mobile app

jamespetts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Also, set your picture mode to "portrait", "muted" or "neutral" - "standard" or "vivid" might well overcook skin tones.

Of course, none of this matters when you are using RAW: in post, you can easily dial down the saturation either generally or on the red channel selectively, both of which can do wonders for photographs of people.

bigal1000

Mu-43 Veteran
Also, set your picture mode to "portrait", "muted" or "neutral" - "standard" or "vivid" might well overcook skin tones.

Of course, none of this matters when you are using RAW: in post, you can easily dial down the saturation either generally or on the red channel selectively, both of which can do wonders for photographs of people.

Ditto use raw or raw+jpeg files if you like the jpeg go with that or use the raw file and make them look the way "you" want them to look !!!!!!

TiiminMb

New to Mu-43
it would be really really helpfull to post an image ....

Yes, but my photo subjects would not appreciate that. I'm finding slightly red noses become really red noses, unhealthily looking red cheeks and blemishes come out of the slightest natural redness, and skin that looks tanned become lobster like.

Is it all in the white balance, or are there actual red adjustments that can be made to the camera setup?

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What others already said: warm colors off, and neutral/portrait.
Also, raw (plus jpeg) and then you can correct individual colors in pp... But i do understand some people just don't do any pp.

Sidenote: why not auto WB? From what i understand (and my own experience), oly has great auto WB.

TiiminMb

New to Mu-43
I have turned off "keep warm". It makes a difference. I haven't re-shot under the exact same conditions again to compare apples to apples, but it will no doubt help.

Latest threads

Top Bottom