1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL-5 Red faces

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TiiminMb, Dec 27, 2013.

1. TiiminMb

TiiminMb New to Mu-43

Dec 26, 2013
    I am finding whether I use a flash or use ambiant incandescent lighting, that for indoor pictures the people's faces are excessively red. I've had some success with using white balance to reduce this, but I'm not sure if I'm pursuing the correct adjustment. Any suggestions? I am using mostly P mode with the SCM menu. Should I adjust it out through custom white balance? Does CWB remain stored once I find the preferred values?

2. iliyanb

iliyanb Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2013
    Bulgaria
    Iliyan
    It's better to check your monitor first.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Make sure you turn off "keep warm" . I think it's on the cogs G menu.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum"

+1 think Paul has the right idea here...

5. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Also, set your picture mode to "portrait", "muted" or "neutral" - "standard" or "vivid" might well overcook skin tones.

Of course, none of this matters when you are using RAW: in post, you can easily dial down the saturation either generally or on the red channel selectively, both of which can do wonders for photographs of people.

6. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Ditto use raw or raw+jpeg files if you like the jpeg go with that or use the raw file and make them look the way "you" want them to look !!!!!!

7. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    it would be really really helpfull to post an image ....

8. TiiminMb

TiiminMb New to Mu-43

Dec 26, 2013
    Yes, but my photo subjects would not appreciate that. I'm finding slightly red noses become really red noses, unhealthily looking red cheeks and blemishes come out of the slightest natural redness, and skin that looks tanned become lobster like.

Is it all in the white balance, or are there actual red adjustments that can be made to the camera setup?

9. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    What others already said: warm colors off, and neutral/portrait.
    Also, raw (plus jpeg) and then you can correct individual colors in pp... But i do understand some people just don't do any pp.

Sidenote: why not auto WB? From what i understand (and my own experience), oly has great auto WB.

10. TiiminMb

TiiminMb New to Mu-43

Dec 26, 2013
    I have turned off "keep warm". It makes a difference. I haven't re-shot under the exact same conditions again to compare apples to apples, but it will no doubt help.