EPL-5 Problem

Brian_G

Mu-43 Regular
I've been contemplating an EPL-5 body to use as a backup/spare.
One that I've seen bears the following warning: "The settings on this camera reset when the camera is turned off." The price reflects the presence of this fault.
I was thinking this may be cured by reinstalling the firmware?
Anyone had experience with a problem like this?

Brian_G

Mu-43 Regular
Brian, sounds as if it has a dead internal capacitor.

This can (rarely) be rectified by inserting a fully charged, good battery and leaving it switched off for a week or two.

Otherwise, it's a repair centre job.
Thanks for the response.
Do Olympus still repair things this old or will it need to go to an independent repairer?

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Thanks for the response.
Do Olympus still repair things this old or will it need to go to an independent repairer?
It will almost certainly be cheaper to just buy a s/h one. So look for one with low shutter count, excellent condition.

I recently bought an E-PM2 with about 4,000 shutter actuations for $125 AUD$.

Very nice tiny camera with my 14-42 EZ on it.

Real Name
Walter
Brian, sounds as if it has a dead internal capacitor.

This can (rarely) be rectified by inserting a fully charged, good battery and leaving it switched off for a week or two.

Otherwise, it's a repair centre job.

I had a PL5 and a PM2 that did the same thing. Did some research and saw the same thing that you mentioned. Even if I left a fully charged battery in, it didn't seem to make much difference. Most likely a dead internal capacitor. Not likely to be worth repairing. I just resigned myself to reset the date and time every time I changed the battery. I reset other settings if I felt ambitious. :)

Brian_G

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the responses.
It appears to be a fairly common Olympus problem, caused by failure of an internal capacitor.
Not entirely sure this is the same thing , since it is described as " reset when the camera is turned off," whilst the other threads mention "loses settings when the battery is removed/changed."
I wonder if anyone has tried updating or reinstalling the firmware to attempt a cure?
Since it will only be a spare, I don't mind re-entering the settings when I want to use it.

Mountain_Man_79

Ah, yes. Comets, the icebergs of the sky.
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the responses.
It appears to be a fairly common Olympus problem, caused by failure of an internal capacitor.
Not entirely sure this is the same thing , since it is described as " reset when the camera is turned off," whilst the other threads mention "loses settings when the battery is removed/changed."
I wonder if anyone has tried updating or reinstalling the firmware to attempt a cure?
Since it will only be a spare, I don't mind re-entering the settings when I want to use it.
Updating software/firmware won’t fix a damaged electrical component. You’ll just have the most up to date camera that continually forgets it’s settings.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom