EPL-5 images darker on LCD and VF2 than jpgs

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bobs1444, May 12, 2013.

1. bobs1444

bobs1444 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Red Deer Alberta
    The images I see on My EPL-5 LCD and VF-2 are always darker
    than my camera jpg's Viewed on my or other computers
    Noticeably darker

Is there any way to correct this ?

Thanks very much
  2. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Both the LCD and VF brightness are adjustable.

LCD is in wrench menu. You can adjust brightness and color temperature.

VF requires the VF to be mounted and the VF menu to be displayed. To display Accessory port menu go to Wrench menu and turn on the VF menu. Then you can go into it and adjust brightness and color temperature.

3. bobs1444

bobs1444 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Red Deer Alberta
    Thank you Very much
  4. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Bob, another forum member on this site, WT21, posted a thread on this topic several months ago as I recall. It may be worth searching his posts to learn the adjustments he made to correct this. As Paul advises, it is adjustable through the menus.
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What is your computer monitor calibrated for though, and also are you on a Mac or PC? That's the problem with displaying images on the web is that they look different to everyone who views it. I know my images tend to look overexposed to many because my screens are calibrated for print (plus I favor high key as well), while everybody else has their computer screen turned up for brightness. I'm an old-fashioned physical print guy and I still consider that to be a consistent media unlike the web, so that doesn't bother me much what people think. I have my own reasons for setting things up the way I do. The LCD displays on my cameras always need to be turned down in brightness because they're way brighter than the images on my print-calibrated monitors.

The reason I'm sharing that personal story though, is to show you that these things can vary so much depending on the display medium, personal settings, and even personal tastes in this digital age of ours. Just like there's no such thing as "perfect exposure", but that also varies depending on the key of the scene as well as personal taste. One thing's for sure is that your LCD should be set as close to your own computer monitors as possible. However, at the same time you might want to evaluate your computer brightness as well to ensure that it's set to a sensible place that best targets your most desired display medium, be it print, web, digital frame, or whatever. If your computer is displaying much brighter than the default settings on an Olympus LCD, then I'm guessing you're quite a lot on the bright side... unless you're on a Mac screen. Mac screens are unreasonably bright (again, to my ideal of print simulation), but at least they're crisp. It's important to understand and account for the different screens you're working on (including your camera's LCD or OLED) and learn their own individual characters.

At any rate, the adjustment is found here: Menu => Wrench and look for an icon that looks like this: [​IMG]
  6. bobs1444

bobs1444 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Red Deer Alberta
    Thank you for the reply's sokar and Ned
    just a quick note
    the jeps out of my camera were much lighter then the image seen through my

I went out last evening after the reply from PaulGiz
    I could see the view in my VF-2 was definitely darker
    the object I was shooting
    So I set the VF menu to +3 and it appeared to be the same
    lighting as the object I was using to set up the VF-2 :thumbup: