1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL-5 and OMD - same sensor?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by crashwins, Jul 21, 2013.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    It's described as a 16MB live MOS sensor. Same thing, different body? Thanks!

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Yes, it is the same sensor, and it is also used in the E-P5, E-PM2 and Panasonic GH3. But, this is a different 16MP sensor than what you will find in some Panasonic bodies other than the GH3. This one is manufactured by Sony.

--Ken

3. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Great. Thanks for the thorough answer.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    There's some uncertainty that it's manufactured by Sony. It's become Internet folklore that it is, but I've read some interesting posts from people who seem pretty knowledgable on the subject that say the contrary.

5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That is the first that I have heard of this. Very interesting.

--Ken

6. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    This is an example post I'm referring to (reply nr 45). I'm not saying that I agree (I have too little knowledge / experience to do that), but it's an interesting point nonetheless:

Michael Reichmann, ETTR and Oly OMD EM5

7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There was a lot of talk about who made the sensor when the E-M5 was released. Initially Olympus said nothing but some time after it was released a senior Olympus official stated that it was a Sony sensor. I've seen nothing since then to make me doubt that Sony make the E-M5 sensor. No Olympus official that I am aware of has ever come out since then saying the statement that it was a Sony sensor was wrong.

In my view there is no uncertainty. That doesn't mean that there may not be some people who are uncertain, just that I personally am certain and I will remain certain until someone can point me to a statement by a senior Olympus official saying that their earlier announcement that it is a Sony sensor was wrong.

8. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You're probably right. For sure the sensor tech on the recent Olys and on the GH3 is top flight and it's Sony who are the top of the sensor tech game at present.

On a related subject, the thread I referenced at Luminous Landscape is saying that there is no point raising ISO on the EM5 above 400. It's better to underexpose and push the resulting shot in PP. The noise is only very marginally worse by doing so but the DR is not compromised as it would be by increasing ISO (apparently by 1.5-2 stops).

The benefit in SNR obtained by raising ISO has nothing to do with exposure and all to do with the sensor electronics: increasing ISO in some cameras results in reduced sensor read noise. If you look at the chart by Bill Claff you'll realize that for Canon sensors your statement just above is relatively accurate but for a so-called ISOless sensor such as the D7000's it is not because ... by raising ISO all you'd be doing is lowering the clipping point of the recorded data (while maintaining the exact same exposure) - no benefits whatsoever.

Back to your EM5, which is ISOless above 1200. I can see a SNR benefit going from 200 to 400. From 400 to 1200 you gain very little (1/6 of a stop of SNR - I challenge you to see it :) while reducing the clipping point 1.5 stops: is it worth the risk?

I'll give this a go at some point and post the results. The argument only applies to raw of course.

9. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Hmm what about the G5? Different sensor?

10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The G5 shares a sensor that is similar to the GH2 and the new G6.

--Ken

11. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yeah there were a lot of guesses that the E-M5 used the GX-1 sensor as they were similar until they admitted it was Sony sensor.

Seeing what Panasonic does in the future will be interesting since they've cut out manufacturing their own sensors, and have teamed up with Fuji for their sensor needs (or at least I'd assume that's what they'll do).