1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EPL 2 or GF3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sinyin, Jun 16, 2011.

1. sinyin

sinyin Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2011
    Hi, i m a newbies here, wanted to upgrade from a p&s to micro four thirds, have make up my mind on wanting an olympus epl-2 but saw some really good deals on panasonic g3, less than $600 and g3 performance will be better (based on reviews). but as for portability wise, i thk oly wil be my choice, any advice here?
    or anyone have handle both camera? thanks yea in advance ! :smile:

2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Do you mean the G3 or the GF3? :smile:

3. sinyin

sinyin Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2011
    G3 on panasonic direct facebook website, is it too good to be true? jz check dat out its $ 559.99, exclude shipping and tax.. m quite torn apart as all the review shows that g3 is a better option, but epl 2 seems like a nice camera. :)

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Dude, there's a new set of Olympus cameras coming out in literally two weeks. Bite your lips and wait it out before making a decision.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Both are very good cameras. They both offer the best in Micro Four-Thirds image quality, and they're both quick and responsive with good AF speeds.

Really the differences lie mostly in form factor. Both cameras have the same resolution LCD and EVF, but the Electronic Viewfinder in the G3 is integrated whereas the EVF for the E-PL2 is removable. The removable EVF allows you to pack the camera smaller (the integrated EVF juts out a lot), and also flips up as a 90 degree vari-finder. This can be very useful. The integrated EVF however, allows you to use the hotshoe at the same time as the viewfinder. To trigger flash with the VF-2 viewfinder on the Olympus camera, you will need to use the Remote Flash Commander built into the pop-up flash.

Another advantage to the accessory port of the E-PL2 is that it not only allows you to mount the very nice VF-2 electronic viewfinder, but also the EMA-1 external mic jack, which will let you plug in any standard 3.5mm stereo microphone for video. That makes the video capabilities of the E-PL2 MUCH better. A video camera with no mic jack for external audio is like a photographic camera with no hotshoe for triggering external lights.

All in all, the E-PL2 is a more stylish and compact camera, but the G3 is bigger with more hand-room, and keeps an integrated viewfinder.

6. sinyin

sinyin Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2011
    thanks ya all for the comments, i really likes those micro four thirds camera, but my budget is kinda tight, m stil a student, wanna upgrade from my p&s as to takes better picture during travel. seldom shot video, but love to learn something from the new camera that i m opting to purchase, the view finder isnt really a problem for me, but its a plus point on g3 as i can learn how to use it, i dun thk i wud fork out dat big sum of money ($200?) for an external view finder on E-PL 2, but as you rightly point out, E-PL 2 will be a more compact camera, so it suits for travel around purpose.
    i m not sure when this offer gonna end, as for now, time for me to get to bed and perhaps i wil get my solution in my dream tonight :)
    once again, thanks for all the attention~

7. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    You can go for the VF-1 as I did (£45 used) and still keep the camera compact.

I've got your same past, p&s and upgraded to Micro-Four Third to learn, enjoy and still be able to switch to "no panic" mode :) without robbing a bank.

Anyway, the optical VF-1 may be a good solution to the viewfinder problem (as IT IS a problem. For me, at least) if you like the E-PL2 more over the GF3 or upcoming G3.

8. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Btw another strong point of the G3 is the swivel display?

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Wait for the new Olympus.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've been using the PENs without the viewfinder since the original E-P1 in 2009. I shoot them from a small pancake lens and flash setup to full studio lighting with pro-grade glass. I choose not to use the VF-2 because having an open hotshoe for triggering lights is more important to me. I've never felt that I "needed" that viewfinder, or that not using it was hindering me in any way. And I come from an SLR background, having only used cameras with optical viewfinders until the Digital PEN came out in 2009.

11. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    True one can shoot without. It's just that I like a lot more to have the camera next to my eye rather that holding it and looking at the LCD.
    I like it mainly for two reasons:

1) steadier
    2) consumes less battery

But so far I've been enjoying it a lot without it, so...but spending £45 for the VF-1 was not an issue and I'm sure I'll like shooting with the E-PL2 a lot more ;)

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I woul prefer to have a good viewfinder, but I love the form factor of the PEN, and I like the removable vari-finder like the VF-2. If the PEN camera came in its current form but with a PC-Sync port or with the viewfinder beside the hotshoe , it would be perfect! :) But we can't have everything, so it all depends on which features you want to prioritize more.

• Like Like x 1