1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EPL 2 Monitor 'hazy' in low light

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Julius Frizbee, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Julius Frizbee

Julius Frizbee New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2012
    Hi - I have just acquired a slightly used EPL-2 which seems generally in excellent condition throughout, excepting the monitor performance in low light seems very poor (even compared to my £100 compact), and doesn't compare too well to my E450 in live view either - generally grainy with quite a lot of banding, but seems fine in normal day-light conditions. Seems very sensitive to yellow artificial light as well. I'm also feeling it is a little slow to update as the camera pans as well.

Photos seem fine (even high ISO or with flash) and play back on the monitor seems sharp. Is this a general characteristic of the camera I wonder?

Also I think I am on an older firmware version and just wondered if updating it might help?

Also I understand EPL-2 has a 2 year warranty - has anyone had experience of a warranty claim direct with Olympus and are they likely to penalize me for being the second user do you know?

Any comments or guidance appreciated.

2. paulogomes

paulogomes New to Mu-43

May 17, 2012
    Hi. I have the same problem with my EPL-2 with 14-150 objective. I update to the newer firmware and the problem persists!
    Did you found some help??

Thanks,
    Paulo

3. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    Do you have LiveView Boost on?

4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Paulo welcome,

I found that with slower lenses the screen in lower light was pretty bad on my E-P1. Grainy and lines etc. The actual pictures were fine though.

Do you have a brighter/faster lens like the 20mm that you could try to see if the problem improves? If not you could try zooming your 14-150 all the way to 150 where the maximum aperture is smaller and see if that makes it worse.

5. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    It is likely an issue of using slow lenses. I use fast lenses for low light scenarios and I only once encountered an issue when I was intentionally underexposing by two stops to get this shot:

6611524573_e918551635.

The issue I hit was that the LCD started showing areas as being completely black and would not refresh them. Very weird. This image came fine but others were showing the same issue I saw on the LCD screen. OTOH, this is not the kind of light I tend to take images in, so I cannot really fault the camera for reacting that way when pushed to the limit.

6. paulogomes

paulogomes New to Mu-43

May 17, 2012
    Hi everyone.
    Thanks for your answers. They are helping me.

@muzee - I've put Liveview boost on, but it seems that make no diffrence!
    @EP1-GF1 - I will try that (zooming to 150) and I write here the result.
    @Laurentiu Cristofor's - good explanation and good foto!

I will receive (i think today) a MZuiko 17mm, and I will try with this lens. Is this lens faster than 14-150?

once again thank you,
    Paulo Gomes
    (Portugal)

7. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Hi Paulo,

Yes, the 17mm is faster (17mm is f2.8 and the 14-150mm is f4 at 14mm and goes to f5.6 at 150mm) so it should improve the screen problem if the low light is the cause.

Cheers.

8. paulogomes

paulogomes New to Mu-43

May 17, 2012
    Hi everyone.
    Today I've finaly received the 17mm lens. On the weekend I'll make some tests and than I'll post the results.

Cumps,
    Paulo Gomes

9. paulogomes

paulogomes New to Mu-43

May 17, 2012
    Hi. Just to say that, with the 17mm lens at low light, the pictures are spectacular.
    Thanks to everybody.

Paulo

10. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Very glad to hear that you've got it solved. The 17mm is actually a nice little lens.