EPL-1 with Summilux 25mm f/1.4 OR the Panasonic GF3XT with a LUMIX G X Vario PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 Len

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by singaporegirl, Dec 17, 2012.

1. singaporegirl

singaporegirl New to Mu-43

Dec 12, 2012
    I have an EPL-1 and just bought myself a 25mm f1/4 summilux lens (main problem i was having with the EPL-1 kit lens was not being able to take pics in low light).

Just found a good deal for a GF3 XT camera with a Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm lens… and wanted to know if should return the 25mm lens and get this GF3 instead?

Is the kit lens on the GF3 better than the EPL-1 kit lens?

2. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    I would say no, unless you need/want more range. Technically though you'll have a hard time finding a lens that is better than the PL25. They are very different lenses but I think the cameras are pretty similar except the gf3 should focus faster.
  3. aimawayfromface

aimawayfromface Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2012
    Hands down, keep the EPL1 and 25mm! The PZ 14-42mm is not well regarded optically--its only advantages being the power zoom for video and the small size. The GF3 itself is a somewhat crippled camera, while the EPL1 has been proven time and again to be a solid performer, if possibly a touch slower.

And I haven't even gotten to the PL25mm. Quite simply, it may be the best lens in the M43 lineup, and if you like the traditional 50mm perspective it affords, it will definitely be your favorite lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010

don't bother with the Luimx and power lens, get to know your new 25mm.

Later you might want a newer Olympus with their FASTer focusing brain.
  5. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    the pz14-42 is sharper than e-pl1's original kit lens...but it has a double image issue due to IS and pany says its now fixed...

if i were you in the usa...i'd return the pl25mm and get the g5 kit now on offer at $499. if you can stretch it get the sigma 30/2.8 on offer now at $150. sell the e-pl1 if you have to... :)

i have the e-pl1, g3 and g5...the g5 is such a significant upgrade over e-pl1 in handling and IQ...you get more pixel, evf, better and articulated lcd, better direct controls, better high iso, better movie, better grip/handling, faster AF, better low light focus, etc.

the G5 kit lens is also better than e-pl1's kit lens...wide open at 14mm is about the same...at 42mm the pany is better...at f8...it is super sharp across the frame at all range. i've compared it to my sigma 19 and 30 and see no sharpness difference at this f stop. it does flare and lose contrast compare to the 19 and 30...but the oly kit lens is worst

yes i know the pl25mm is a good lens...if you absolutely need shallow dof then keep it... otherwise i feel the g5 is a more balance upgrade...at $499 i've been thinking of getting a second unit because i find so much joy using it...

at adorama you can get a twin lens kit for $699 and it comes with a $100 cert (66% of the sigma)

...so for not spending any more above the pl25 ($500)...you get latest G5 and better kit lens than the GF3+PZ...for $250 more you can get the pl45-150mm and sigma 30mm which is close to the focal length of pl25 but 1 stop slower...
  6. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    If you already bought and tried PL25 and still debating, then go ahead and return it. For me, that lens almost took away my GAS. Can't imagine my om-d without it.
  7. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I hate to point this out because you've probably already thought of it, but it seems you'll be left with the same problem with low-light photography if you return the 25 f1.4 and buy the GF3 kit. The GF3 is pretty much the same sensor generation as the e-pl1 as far as I can tell, and it seems to have pretty much the same control scheme. The only thing you get out of it is a super small zoom, with a slow max aperture and that is pretty much what you already have if you still have the kit zoom for the e-pl1. The gf3 pz kit zoom is just smaller.

Having said all of this, I put off buying the 25 f1.4 for a long time, and wasn't all that enthused about it when I first got it. But after using it for a bit my opinion is now completely the opposite. It's sharp, focuses fast, and I've come to really like the f1.4. The lens is a bit largish in size, and isn't weather sealed, which is my complaint against it, because then I could pop it on to my E-M5 and not sweat a little rain with it.