1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPL-1 vs EPM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slackercruster, Jul 24, 2012.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Bot a EPM-1. Love it. Looking to buy a 2nd body but can't find one unless I get it from Taiwan.

Was looking at the EPL-1. Is that pretty close to the EPM-1 as a replacement? Or does it run very different? I want something that is a clone of the EPM-1 with AF, IQ, and the rest.

Do you think they will ever offer bodies of the EPM-1 in the US? Really, I'd like 2 extra bodies.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The IQ is the same (perhaps even a tad better), but the LCD, controls and most significantly the AF are all better on the E-PM1.

If you get a refurbished E-PM1 and sell the kit lens, it shouldn't end up being more than $200 net. Not as cheap as an E-PL1, but still pretty good.

DH

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    E-PM1 is better in terms of AF. IQ not so different, with some folks insisting that the E-PL1 is actually a bit sharper. If you really want a clone I would not recommend the E-PL1.

You can pick up refurb E-PM1s w/14-42IIR kit lens for $299 at Cameta Camera. Sell the lens for $100 and you have an E-PM1 for a nice price. Link to Cameta refurbs.

edit: Looks like DH beat me by seconds... I'd normally delete my post out embarrassment for my lack of original thought, but I'll leave it here since the link might be useful.

4. slackercruster

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Thanks.

Anyone buy a refurb? Have any problems with it?

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No , refurb are fine . I have one EPM1 for sale with kit lens and VF3 if you are interested in it.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    A number of folks, including me, think the still IQ of the E-PL1 is the best of any of the Pen cameras. I've gradually been discovering that the much talked about "focus problems" of the E-PL1 have rather easy solutions. Like using the II and IIR versions of the kit 14-42mm lens solves the slow focus issue. And by setting the camera to S-AF+MF, you can set the initial focus automatically, then fine tune it manually in difficult situations like photographing a single flower in a field. And you can greatly reduce the size of the focus point to help nail the initial automatic focus. Overall, the E-PL1 is a rather fiddly to use in the field, due to lack of control dials and wheels, but the reward is stellar image detail and sharpness.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:thiagree:

8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    what is this E-pl1 you characters speak of?

9. Biggstr

Biggstr Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Ashburn, VA
    No problem with refurbished ...

I recently bought a refurbished E-PM1 from Cameta Camera. No issues whatsoever. The items were wrapped in bubble wrap suggesting that the original packaging was gone, but the camera and lens were mint, including a protective cover on the LCD. I don't know the shutter count and in a way don't care. I got the camera + lens at a 40% discount. Everything works perfectly.

I've also purchased three (yes ... 3) new E-P2 camera bodies and an unboxed Olympus 17mm lens also wrapped in bubble wrap from Cameta. The prices in the secondary market at Cameta are so appealing that I'm finding it hard to spring full retail for an OMD like it did on my E-PL3. Think I'll wait a year and pick it up on the secondary market. Do I really need three E-P2s, an E-PL-3, and an E-PM1? No, but the size/weight ratio for the MFT system and the features of the different Olympus camera bodies are such that I'd rather carry multiple camera bodies with different strengths than change a lens in the field.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I purchased an EPM1 from Cameta and it had the date/time issue. Cameta exchanged it for a 2nd body that is working without issue.

11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    How is this accomplished? I know this is possible on the newer Oly cameras, but I've not found how to do this listed in the manual nor figured out how to do it on my own with the E-PL1.

12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    copied this from Steve's Digicams a while ago:

1. from the normal shooting screen, press the "zoom" button once.
    2. press the "info" button once. 7x will be displayed in the bottom left corner.
    3. press the "up"(exp. comp.) button once you get to 10x & the autofocus box gets smaller, press again you get 14x the auto focus box gets even smaller.
    4. press "ok" Just Once now you can move the smaller box around using the keypad.
    5. to go back to full size box just press the "ok" button once more.
    6. The neat thing is that once you intially set your desired autofocus box size, it can be easily recalled just by hitting the zoom button once.

unless you press ok a second time the smaller autofocus point remains from shot to shot, when the camera is powered down the box resets to full size, just simply hit the zoom button once when you power it up & your back to the smaller autofocus point.

13. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Press the magnify button, then press the info button. This will display the x magnification in the bottom left corner of the LCD. The higher the magnification, the smaller the focus point. Use the up/down arrow keys to adjust the magnification - I keep mine set on x14 to get the smallest focus point. When you have got the size you want press the OK button to save it.

You do have to switch off the size adjusted focus point before you can adjust exposure by pressing the OK button, which is a pain, but it is easily restored by pressing the magnify button again. When the adjusted focus point is active you can move it anywhere on the screen using the up/down/right/left arrow keys (that's why you cannot use it simultaneously with exposure adjustment). It's a little cumbersome on the E-PL1 because of the lack of controlls and the need to keep toggling the buttons between focus and exposure, but otherwise it works a treat. :smile:

14. slackercruster

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Does the EPL-1 adjust easier than the EPM-1?

That is a complaint of mine with the EPM-1. It is a pain to adjust with manual settings. Does the dial on top of the EPL-1 do shutter speeds?

15. chile7236

chile7236 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2012
    after using both the E-PM1 and E-PL1, i have chose to stick with my E-PL1...if i was to "upgrade", it will be after the new E-PLx comes out......MAYBE.

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No. It just controls the mode (PASM etc.). There aren't any other dials either.

DH

17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Adjusting most things on the E-PL1 is a pain but at least you can adjust everything you need. Once there, the results are excellent.

18. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    After owning both, the E-PM1 is actually a lot easier for adjusting setting after changing the buttons and wheel settings. The E-PL1 is a pain compared.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-PM1 is superb. Comparing to my E-PL2, jpg output is definitely better probably due to newer processor. Very light and responsive camera, I have yet to adjust AWB. LR gives worse results than E-PM1 awb. Very useful 5.5 fps burst mode (needs faster SD card for faster buffering). The only thing is that IS is completely unusable.I am looking forward to E-PM2 with new 16MP sensor as my second camera. I don't like OMD at all, looks like old film camera, I prefer Apple like minimalistic industrial design.